Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Work has started, Om617 into 95 Rover.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Damn 8k!? It must have been mint

ROCK WARE - Range Rover, Land Rover products, Sliders Bumpers Suspension range rover tube buggy it and I'll buy it all for 10
I was the full long block from Metric Motors

Mercedes Rebuilt Engines

I had put it into one of my other Mercs, and put 5k on it. Then pulled it for this project.

I figured, If it's going to be done, do it right, I should end up with something that can be driven 100's of thousands of miles without issues. Heck I have a 82 300TD wagon, with almost 400k on it still runs like a new car.

This week I'm going to tear the R380 open and finally see the inside of it and order what need to be gotten to rebuild it. It's just been so damn hot that you don't want to be outside working on the truck.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the scoop!?

Whats new with the project? I'm starting to get the parts needed to do the same thing.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Boggie
Whats new with the project? I'm starting to get the parts needed to do the same thing.

On hold waiting for weather. Since it's being dne outside under a tent, it will be a few more months before it's warm enogh to really get back on it.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Winching

Oh, I should give current status of where we left off,

New R380 clutch is ready Updated it with stronger pads in prep for the diesel.

Flywheel is done

Have the aluminum for the adapter, but they sent it twice as thick as ordered, so have to run it over and have it cut in half.

Ordering the master rebuild kit for the R380, so it's like new when we put it all together.

Engine is ready (not much to do there since it was new)

Next step is installing the 2 inch body lift and the 2 inch suspension lift to help with the clearance issues of the oil pan and front diff. (we still have to alter the pan)

Goal is to have it in a running driving state in april. It's clod and raining here, bad time of the year to try and get anything done outside on it.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Keep the updates coming.
Those of us who are testing the waters on swaps like this are eager to hear from you... is the water fine?

I've seen some of the other threads on Rover/OM617 swaps... but all with auto transmission.... to me, it seems manual is be the best way to go.
As far as I can tell, you are crossing uncharted territory with this swap.

I'm curious about two main things:
1. Details on any major road-blocks you encounter in this particular swap. In your opinion is this swap of "normal" difficulty, or would you caution others away from this engine/transmission combination. The rest of us would dearly love to hear that stuff before we jump in.

2. Of course, besides the "cool factor", one would hope to have a functional and usable vehicle after the swap. My expectation is that it would have mild/moderate acceleration, and be able to maintain 70 on the freeway.
After you're done, I'd love to hear your honest driving impressions. Are you constantly conscious of the engine's performance (or lack thereof), or does she seem to get along well with her new British body? Are you happy with the outcome, or ho-hum? The rest of us won't have the opportunity to drive your Rover with the OM617 in it... so please let us know what it feels like. Again... your impressions have a big influence on whether the rest of us try this swap ourselves.

FYI... I've got an 1985 Mercedes 300D (OM617 turbo) with 200k on it. Drove great until it got T-boned. I want to put that engine into an SUV of some sort. The other two contenders so far are Jeep Cherokee and Toyota 4Runner... but Discovery intrigues me... great off-road and a civilized interior.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by kentworks
Awesome! Keep the updates coming.
Those of us who are testing the waters on swaps like this are eager to hear from you... is the water fine?

I've seen some of the other threads on Rover/OM617 swaps... but all with auto transmission.... to me, it seems manual is be the best way to go.
As far as I can tell, you are crossing uncharted territory with this swap.

I'm curious about two main things:
1. Details on any major road-blocks you encounter in this particular swap. In your opinion is this swap of "normal" difficulty, or would you caution others away from this engine/transmission combination. The rest of us would dearly love to hear that stuff before we jump in.

2. Of course, besides the "cool factor", one would hope to have a functional and usable vehicle after the swap. My expectation is that it would have mild/moderate acceleration, and be able to maintain 70 on the freeway.
After you're done, I'd love to hear your honest driving impressions. Are you constantly conscious of the engine's performance (or lack thereof), or does she seem to get along well with her new British body? Are you happy with the outcome, or ho-hum? The rest of us won't have the opportunity to drive your Rover with the OM617 in it... so please let us know what it feels like. Again... your impressions have a big influence on whether the rest of us try this swap ourselves.

FYI... I've got an 1985 Mercedes 300D (OM617 turbo) with 200k on it. Drove great until it got T-boned. I want to put that engine into an SUV of some sort. The other two contenders so far are Jeep Cherokee and Toyota 4Runner... but Discovery intrigues me... great off-road and a civilized interior.

Personally I think the om617 into a toyota or jeep are much easier swaps, there are plenty of kits available to make them a drop in. Also those are much lighter vehicles. My friend has a toyota pickup he did the om617 swap in and it flies.

My personal driver is currently a 85 Euro 300TD. (everything in it is in German lol.) with 260 on it. But I've owned and driven 5-6 other version of the car, from sedans to the coupe. turbo and non. I've am just really liking the engine. Since I have a brand new one and I also have the rover with a 5 speed needing and engine due to a failed oil pump gear it was the thing to do. I don't know why I like the rover. They really are a PITA truck. But they are cheap and there is a lot of info on working on them.

If I was to do this again, I would do it in a toyota 4x4 and have the better running gear underneath, an easier lift, better option for wheels and tires etc.. BUT that of course would not be a "cool" has having one of the only 5speed diesel discos in the US..

Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

When you wheel into the service lane at the Mercedes dealer the G550 owners' eyes will bug out!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
Next step is installing the 2 inch body lift and the 2 inch suspension lift to help with the clearance issues of the oil pan and front diff. (we still have to alter the pan)
I'm assuming you realize the body lift won't help with the oil pan clearance and only mentioned it because it's just something else you're doing for other reasons.

Don't forget your front bump stops. You'll need to extend them to make sure when the springs are fully compressed you still have clearance.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
I'm assuming you realize the body lift won't help with the oil pan clearance and only mentioned it because it's just something else you're doing for other reasons.

Don't forget your front bump stops. You'll need to extend them to make sure when the springs are fully compressed you still have clearance.
Body lift is more for bigger tires. The biggest issue with the build is the alteration of the oil pan. To test I'll remove the springs completely and let the truck sit down and see where the pan is etc. I doubt I would ever compress the springs in full in my driving. (I don't really off road) About the most extreme thing I do it drive in a field to get a better picture.

Does bring up another point... Once done there will be to much work and money in this to be an off road rig. So again a simple drop into a cheap disposable jeep would be better for that... Of course, once you have the swap done, should anything happen down the road, the replacement of the om617 would be easy and cheap. Heck... free. You can buy an old merc for 6-8 hundred bucks all day long pull the engines and sell off the parts and scrap the body and make $$$ every-time.

This build is more for me, I want to get 25 mpg and have a rover... about the only way this can be done lol. 65-70 mph, that would be fine for me. But honestly, I'm betting it will do better than that. I run my euro wagon back and forth between work (hour drive each way) and do 80 the whole trip without stressing out the car or engine in anyway and get 28-30 doing it. These engines love RMPs, and really smooth out. 2800-3200 seem to be the sweet spot for them.

The om617 is cake compared to the original buick 215. Much more dependable engine extremely easy to work on, no electronics... for that point alone I would do this swap... The electrical system in a rover is a joke to say the least. way to over complicated, impossible to work on, and way to many failure points that will leave you screwed. You should see the miles of wire I have pulled from this truck. the om617. one wire. to the glow plugs is really the only one needed.

The om617, as long as you have compression, fuel and air you have a running engine.

Sad that replacing the original engine with one 10 years older is an upgrade lol.

Last edited by ngarover; 01-19-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, I'd still make sure you can fully compress the springs without hitting the pan. That could save you even on the road, if someone runs you off the road. But off-road (and around town) is where a diesel really shines, even more than on the road.

The '95 doesn't have too much in electrics that will leave you stranded. At least not when compared to '96 and later, one of the reason I like them so much. After owning the '97 I'll never buy one newer than a '95 again. Of course with a non-electrronic diesel in a 5-speed you can remove all electrics that could leave you stranded, if it has a mechanical fuel lift pump.
In fact, in yours could could get rid of all electrics entirely, except for lights and charging/starting.
That's the plan for my '95. I have a 300Tdi I'm seriously thinking of putting in it.

Quick Reply: Work has started, Om617 into 95 Rover.