Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What Akdisco said, you must be from the south. I have this argument with rednecks at work everyday.. They think you need a huge block with tons of power in a full size chevy on 40"+ tires to be able to offroad..

Idiots

To them offloading is doing doughnuts in a muddy field.. Seriously..

There's two kinds of offroad if you want to sling mud get a gmc, if you actually want to go somewhere take the disco

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes +1 to what SpencerFitch said. "Off-roading" to most is just that..........slamming the gas into the floorboard and whipping ****ty's trying to throw mud with your dual exhaust screaming. This type of "off-roading" is what I see all the time. Now I myself have a big K5 blazer BUT its for WHEN I plan on going on on a serious trail with lots of deep mud and deep water, but I use the Disco when I dont need deep water and deep mud capability. This past saturday as I stated in my Discovery I walked up a couple seriosly steep and rocky hill climbs, I walked right up first time with nice and easy throttle, I didnt have to flog the truck to get it up, the suspension flexed well and kept all 4 tires on the ground. The Big fullsize trucks on leaf springs and big tires all had to hammer the throttle and spin their tires like crazy to get up, it looked hard on the drivetrain, 2 guys actually had to back down and have another try with even more throttle!! Rocks and gravel were flying everywhere. Anyway, I joked with a guy standing next to me watching and said "didnt I just drive right up this?".

Last edited by AKdisco; 05-16-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info.. thanks to everyone, esp. Akdisco for taking time to write as much... I know I might come across like a hillbilly 'neck but give me a little break -- at least I actually bought one to try it. I mean, I realized there's more to it than a little s10 blazer or jimmy and that for the trail the Disco is the way to go compared to my fullsize aircraft carrier -- hence I bought one. Forgive me for the second thoughts -- that I could for quite a bit less money (not counting sunk cost) just put a lift and 37's on my GM and crush the trails. I know that's the idiot's solution which is why I bought a Land Rover. Now I'm looking at doubling down for upgrades -- it takes some second thoughts.

I also considered a 4 person side-by-side (other end of the spectrum) but the LR costs less and would actually be about my minimum for payload (4 people, dog, equipment on the roof rack).

Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't know much about the 4 person side by sides, but I've seen the people in the RZR, and those are pretty amazing. I'd love to have one.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Now ya get It, I haven't been able
To Into words that a 3 foot lift isn't nessisary for offloading.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
I don't know much about the 4 person side by sides, but I've seen the people in the RZR, and those are pretty amazing. I'd love to have one.
They make a RZR with a stretched wheelbase and two rows of seats... still no room for my dog and cargo though, and they're over $15K

Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AKdisco
BTW, not to stir the pot(like I ever do that haha) but if you have to ask WHY 3 LINK IS BETTER THAN IFS then you sir dont know anything about Off-roading. Really?, your talking about "building and investing thousands in making an off-road truck and dont see how a disco is good" but you dont even know what a 3 link suspension is? You think IFS is good for off-road??........maybe for high speed Baja racing its better but for trail running with rocks and off-camber situations its not good. Im not so sure you really have a grasp of what true off-roading is and whats good for it.
My GM IFS has 8.5" of travel in the front. What does the stock disco have? I figure about 6" If I do a full long-travel upgrade with new shocks, springs and radius arms, panhard rod and drive shaft, I can get maybe 10" for a few thousand bucks. But long travel kits for the GM IFS give as much as 12" in the front (Fabtech).

Maybe the GM is not a rock crawler but neither is the Disco. We're not talking buggies OR baja here, just stock vehicles with bolt-ons.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, it seems you're trying to convince yourself you'd like to upgrade the Disco. No ill intention in that comment. A Land Rover is a unique vehicle, and honestly; it could just be an average off-roader...but with that being said, an LR is unique and looks badass with add-ons, modifications, etc. Stay with the Disco, I assure you it will receive more impressive looks than your average GM truck. Stay unique on the trail, fight through your difficulties but have that unique sense of pride that comes with owning your 1998 Land Rover Discovery.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the thing that sets rover apart from hummers, jeeps, gm ect. is its independent suspension, its horse power to weight ratio, that is what makes a rover a rover.

have fun with your gm, let me know if you need a tow.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/COLLIN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I think stock articulation is 12.5

Quick Reply: Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?