Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by collin Barrows
the thing that sets rover apart from hummers, jeeps, gm ect. is its independent suspension, its horse power to weight ratio, that is what makes a rover a rover.

have fun with your gm, let me know if you need a tow.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/COLLIN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

ha ha... my GM has an independent suspension, the LR is dependent, solid axle. My gas powered GM has double the power and torque of the LR's 4.0 V8 (and I don't even have the latest turbo diesel which adds about 100 more of both) and my truck is only 6500 pounds or about 1000 more than the Disco. So let's see, 15% more weight and 100% more power.

It doesn't matter though, just what you wrote has nothing to do with what makes the Rover good.... no hard feelings.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IFS have decent UP-travel, its the DOWN travel that they dont have. With a Solid axle you have the advantage that when one side of the axle gets pushed up ie...when your tire goes up a rock, ditch, stump, log etc etc the OPPOSITE side of the axle gets pushed down forcing articulation and keeping that tire on the ground which equals more traction. OK, just for the record I am a fan of fullsize rigs, I even own one(78K5 blazer, one tons, welded rear, 42" TSL's etc etc). This truck is stiff on trails, flexes decent but not near as good as my disco, after about 2 hours on rocky bumps my liver wants to jump out of my body, however it still has a SOLID axle. Its an awesome truck for BIG rocks, BIG logs, deep deep mud and deep water because of its power and BIG ground clearance and 42" tires. It is un-comfortable and kinda big for the small trails. SOOOOO when I'm going into some serious trails with the big boys and I know there will be some wide open mud fields and deep river crossings (3+ feet water) I'll take the blazer, when the trails will be moderate I'll take the Disco. IFS is not the best choice for crawling and most trails situations..........now you wanna go rally through the desert then build an IFS truck.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada ben
ha ha... my GM has an independent suspension, the LR is dependent, solid axle. My gas powered GM has double the power and torque of the LR's 4.0 V8 (and I don't even have the latest turbo diesel which adds about 100 more of both) and my truck is only 6500 pounds or about 1000 more than the Disco. So let's see, 15% more weight and 100% more power.

It doesn't matter though, just what you wrote has nothing to do with what makes the Rover good.... no hard feelings.
Are you comparing a diesel to a petrol engine?
Here's how the petrol engines compare. Remeber, the Land Rover has a 3.9L and the GM is a 5.7L...1.8L larger(over 30%).
The engine used in the Discovery(3.9L) produces 188 hp (140 kW) at 4750 rpm and 250 lb·ft (340 N·m) at 2600 rpm.
The Vortec 5700(5.7L) produces 255 hp (191 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 ft-lbf (448 N·m) to 350 ft-lbf (475 N·m) of torque at 2800 rpm.

Last edited by Chris-bob; 05-16-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Are you comparing a diesel to a petrol engine?
The engine used in the Discovery(3.9L) produces 188 hp (140 kW) at 4750 rpm and 250 lb·ft (340 N·m) at 2600 rpm.
The Vortec 5700(5.7L) produces 255 hp (191 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 ft-lbf (448 N·m) to 350 ft-lbf (475 N·m) of torque at 2800 rpm.
My gas-powered Vortec 8100 produces 340HP and 455ft lbs stock. The newer diesels are 397HP and 765ft lbs. Pointless for the trail... I'd much rather have the little Rover diesel that is weaker than all of them. Where any of this does matter is on the driveline. The GM driveline is made for 22,500lb GCVWR being pulled by 700+ ft. lbs of torque through similar gear ratios to those of the Rover (GM has 5 or 6 speed with 4.10's). Where this matters on the trail is in the fatigue strength of the axles, ring and pinion, and the carrier. The AAM units on the GM will do moderately driven trails with lockers for many, many years and never break. The stock Rover drivetrain is a wreck waiting to happen. Fatigue will kill it, it's just a matter of time. You either upgrade it proactively or wait for it to break.

Notice that I am not talking about cowboy hooliganism, dumping boatloads of torque into 42's or something. I am talking about fatigue strength, what matters over a long course of slow trail driving and crawling. For this purpose, the GM is bulletproof stock. The Rover has to be upgraded.

Last edited by nevada ben; 05-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You don't appear to have contracted Landroveritis...

My words of advice to you....based on this post and your comments above, and since you already have a Disco, and still have some sense about you, I would suggest that you SELL IT IMMEDIATELY.

You are going to HATE every second of it and be on here complaining about all the little (and big) issues that come up. You will find that most of us here are infected with Land Rover Disease and are therefore willing to put up with all the little (and big) quirks here and there for the unique driving "experience" that only a Land Rover can provide. If you are not in love with it, don't force it, quit while you're ahead and enjoy all that General Motors and IFS has to offer. We'll call you for a tow when our head gaskets fail or we blow our diffs on the trail!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
My words of advice to you....based on this post and your comments above, and since you already have a Disco, and still have some sense about you, I would suggest that you SELL IT IMMEDIATELY.

You are going to HATE every second of it and be on here complaining about all the little (and big) issues that come up. You will find that most of us here are infected with Land Rover Disease and are therefore willing to put up with all the little (and big) quirks here and there for the unique driving "experience" that only a Land Rover can provide. If you are not in love with it, don't force it, quit while you're ahead and enjoy all that General Motors and IFS has to offer. We'll call you for a tow when our head gaskets fail or we blow our diffs on the trail!

OR, drop some money on your Disco and add a DETROIT in the rear and an ARB up front, THAT will alone fix MOST of the axle weaknesses. Its the guts of the diff that are the achiles heal, the shafts themslves arn't that bad, up-grade the carrier and run 35's I betcha and on a Disco 35's would be SICK, remember your only 100" wheelbase, no need for hyyooogggeeee tires. Then make sure she doesnt overheat and BINGO, you got yourself a pretty capable rig that will eat full size chevs alive. Seriously can you imagine a locked rover front and rear on 35's and a slinky suspension......SICK!.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Mudding

I think this is a pointless discussion, he's into his GM, IFS and diesel...NOT what a Disco in stock form is anything like...I think most here would agree, we own our LR's cause it's a labor of love. Having something different that we believe in..like a original Mini Cooper or McLaren F1...it's not common, isn't practical for all driving conditions but are fun to drive and that's what makes them great.

He posted the same question on Pirate:

Worth it to upgrade Disco 1 for 4x4 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Land Rovers are junk.
Just watch this video, it proves it.

YouTube - Land Rover Discovery destruction #1 'DEATH JUMP'

Oh, and they totally suck off road, even when they are older than old and totally stock.

YouTube - Reason to own a Land Rover

And they are not the most used vehicle in Army's all over the world either.

YouTube - Land Rover DEFENDER New Advert

Yeah, GM rocks.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Mudding

I have nothing against Defenders and Series... whole different story.

I also have nothing against quirky labors of infatuation. I rode a 60's Triumph all my youth. This Land Rover could never compare to that -- maybe the ****tiest year Jaguar, but not a Land Rover. The Series comes close to having the charm but it's too dependable to give any fire to the affair.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You realize the DI is a Defender in disguise right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?