Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

yet another issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Crawl under the front with a flashlight. There is a fill hole near the top, and some have a drain as well at the bottom, but from what I have seen on here, not all of them had the drain. Mine is an early 97 and it has the drains .

Have you downloaded the RAVE yet? It has excellent information on all this stuff.
I suggest you get familar with it quickly.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pwr198
how and where do you fill the swivals
Oh dear.

See, what I meant about the rock thing wasn't actually that I thought he had rocks in his tires, but that there is no helping someone who posts like this - I mean he is too lazy to even punctuate his sentence fragment, or even to right click to find out what the squiggly red line is for under the word "swivals", for goodness sakes.

I could, in fact, suggest to him that the best course of action at this point would be to remove the CV joint from the truck and check the end float (0.64mm max acceptable) for a definitive answer to whether his CV joint is bad.

I could also post this:
CV Joint Kits Includes: CV Joint, Swivel Seal, Axle Seal, Hub Seal, Gaskets, Locker, CV Grease (does 1 side)

PK100 Discovery Series I 1994-99 $149.95

which is on this website (Call and ask for Al, he's a great guy and always willing to help):

http://www.dap-inc.com/kits/axlekit.shtml#CV

Note that you get everything you need for $149.

AB wants $169 just for the cv:

Our Price: $169.95
Item: TDJ000010A
In Stock: Yes!
Fits:
Discovery I | '94 - '99
Range Rover Classic | '93 - '95 | 24 Splines at differential end
Defender 90 | '94 - '97

I could suggest that he download RAVE and learn about what makes his truck tick:

Downloads

Downloads Home » Land Rover Data
DocumentsDate added

Order by : name | date | hits [ ascendent ]
Rave CD 3hot! 04.05.2006
Vehicles covered:
Discovery I
Range Rover Classic
Freelander upto 2001
WARNING: LARGE FILE! 421 MB
This file is an image of the Land Rover Rave CD, if you cant read this file straight away, you need to do one of two things. Either write the image to a CD, using Nero or similar - note you need to write the image to CD, not just write the file. Or you can get hold of a program such as 'Alcohol 120%' which will create a virtual CD drive on your PC, freom which the file can be read, this negates the need to write a CD.
Hits: 48398

I would postulate, however, that he would most likely be stymied by why the 12 point bolts holding the caliper on wont come off with a 6 point socket, and sell the truck. But I could be wrong.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pwr198
how and where do you fill the swivals
there's not much room to work but you can turn the tires to one side and get in there with a 1 qt. plastic bottle and squeeze in some oil or use a small funnel..or you can buy the one shot grease packs.

yellow arrow points to fill, green points to drain

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
there's not much room to work but you can turn the tires to one side and get in there with a 1 qt. plastic bottle and squeeze in some oil or use a small funnel..or you can buy the one shot grease packs.

yellow arrow points to fill, green points to drain

Ok, I'll play, guess I've been enough of a jerk today. Thats a nice clean swivel there NiteTrain, but the big seal looks like it is on its last legs. Man I saw a cool vid the other day of a guy changing that seal without tearing it all down, just removing the 7 swivel ball bolts and removing the assembly. Pretty cool. O and the front of your panhard looks like you have a power steering leak.

Ok, op, so if you get this far, make sure you turn the wheels all the way to the side you are doing, otherwise the fluid has to fit in between the swivel ball and housing and will either

a)take forever to fill if you are using EP90, or

b)be mostly impossible if you choose the oneshots.

O and to be clear, "fill" here doesn't mean "fill all the way up". You have to do it by measure, which means you need to empty them first. Do the following:

1. remove fill plug, to make sure it comes out and you can fill it.
2. remove drain plug to empty
3. replace drain plug and fill with proper volume of ep90, or oneshot it.