Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Your camping rigs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your camping rigs

The recent purchase of a 20 acre ranch in Northern AZ has prompted a sudden urge for me to camp. It brings out the mountain man within I suppose, and a Land Rover seems to be the perfect vehicle for someone in my position.....okay, I take that back. A pickup bed sure would be nice at times, but we Land Rover owners can always justify the lack of utility storage by simply noting "I'll just get a trailer." which I is where I find myself at the moment.

I'm interested in HOW you guys are using your Discoverys... By this I mean what does your rig look like when you go camping?? What are some unique ways you have made your Disco more functional when you're on an outing. Please post pics. I've found a few during a random google search I'll post below.

Attached Thumbnails Your camping rigs-207521429_95b26f0bdf.jpg   Your camping rigs-images.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have to say much about this LR.... bad a$$

Attached Thumbnails Your camping rigs-sema2001-11.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some body on here talked about driving theirs to the beaches in Florida and sleeping inside by taking out the middle seats and rigging something in the back to sleep on. I recently removed mine and hauled a 6 foot long armoire in the back and a few other things like beds for the grandkids and some outdoor furniture, also a tuffbox some one gave me.

Rover's North Magazine last quarter had a story in a Defender that had been rigged for camping in the rear and had a pop-up roof and sink and toilet concealed in the cargo area and beches that converted to a bed.

The top mounted look cool but may be a challenge to really be comfy in.

You could do some custom rig that would have a slide out or foldout extension that could extend thru an open back door or get real creative and remove the rear door and replace with a better custom unit.

Depends on your capabilities and available expendable $$$ doesn't it??

There was a really nice one on Ebay a while back that had a roof mounted tent and a brand new GM Vortex engine as well for about 10K$.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the coast in North and South Carolina we use hammocks. Typically we rig one end through the cross bars on a roof rack and the other to a deep stake, tree or whatever you got.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Along the lines of what Danny said, I've seen things simar to the what he's talking about. You could build a slide out extended from the back of the truck using those heavy duty guide tracks they use in tool boxes. The ones with the bearings etc. Then you could extend the back to useable sleeping length.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my setup for camping complete with 4000 cubic foot fridge and microwave lol

Name:  1dc45ac0.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  99.8 KB

Last edited by Long Haul; 05-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The roof mounted tents are supposed to be uber comfortable from what some friends have said and various reviews. I will have one some day(prolly when the kids turn 18 and get booted from the house).

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
The roof mounted tents are supposed to be uber comfortable from what some friends have said and various reviews. I will have one some day(prolly when the kids turn 18 and get booted from the house).

In Alaska? What about the polar bears?

You could make a heavy duty slide out with some good square tubing or something solid, even have a drop down support at the rear end of it.

The rear door is part of the challenge but could be revamped as well.

Some of you great young design wizards should attempt a few things like that!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Long Haul, How about the old rigs that people just convert with a cool lounge room on the back?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
In Alaska? What about the polar bears?
That's what pets are for...

Quick Reply: Your camping rigs