Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Your camping rigs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Wait, Wait, Wait.....you mean that you DON'T live in an igloo and have a penguin as a pet? (Yes I know that are only native to the South Pole) WTF?!?!
All this time I figured your "end game" was to build a Polar Bear proof Disco so you could go out and save the Eskimo's from their godless ways...and to SHOW them that there are places that really DO get more than 30 minutes of light per day AND where there are members of the "fairer" sex that take to walking around in something that they might use to secure a piece of equipment to their dog sled, albeit a very SMALL piece of equipment...

My camping rig consists of a 12x16 tent (4 kids) a blow up mattress and every Coleman propane piece of equipment I could get my hands on...

On a chilly morning, a cup of HOT coffee, some crispy bacon and a couple flapjacks generate the most AMAZING, overwhelming feeling of contentedness...probably similar to that Polar Bear eating the seal he waited 12 hours to come up through the whole in the ice. All I know is that I really liked his music...to bad he had to go out like that...
That's funny! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. I would have spit it all over the screen!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That swiss thing is cool.... not for that $$$ though. I'm thinking about taking a 4'x4' piece of 1" ply wood and putting some folding legs on it so that when place on the back bumper it is level...... Shoot, I guess a card tabel would do the same thing though. but atleast that way you could inflate a little air mattress or put a sleeping pad on it and be comfy. Could rig a tarp over the back hatch too....hmmmmmmm.. ideas

Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
That swiss thing is cool.... not for that $$$ though. I'm thinking about taking a 4'x4' piece of 1" ply wood and putting some folding legs on it so that when place on the back bumper it is level...... Shoot, I guess a card tabel would do the same thing though. but atleast that way you could inflate a little air mattress or put a sleeping pad on it and be comfy. Could rig a tarp over the back hatch too....hmmmmmmm.. ideas
Could also go to a tarp, awning company and have them make a cover for you out of canvas or something that uses straps or snaps to secure to the roof rack...

Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was a kid, we took our new 1960 Ford Ranch Wagon (AquaMarine and White two tone) to the Smoky mountains with a 6 man tent, additional porch zip on and our coleman stove and lantern and would camp for two weeks straight, the next year we would repeat in a Florida Campground (Ocala, Daytona Beach, Fort Lauderdale). Every summer we alternated. Newer nice station wagon a couple of times, then it was a Dixie Camper Pop-up, then a mid-size Travel Trailer for Mom and Dad after the kids were gone.

I have the Gold and White Awning from that trailer trailer in my garage now. Still in good shape.

Since I have totally removed all the rear panels and carpets from my interior, I will do a custom Wooden creation in the rear, maybe a plate steel panel on the rear door if I keep that one on it, and start fixing it up inside right after I take care of the minor rust and finishing rerouting the necessary wiring and doping away with the unnecessary wires.

I need to clean it real good, and I'' take some pics to put in a new album as I go.

If you recently bought a used Discovery, i would suggest you at least lift the carpets and see how bad yours may be underneath that biass sponge LR put in there.

Any input welcome. All witty reparte also welcome. Any request for pics better have cash or other goodies sent to me as well.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Campin...

Once the Gray Ghost has been retired from DD service, and then served admirably for 10 or 15 years as my primary wheelin' rig, I will cut the top off and install a seal with snap clasps to hold it shut and a way to lift and secure it in an "Up" position, potentially on telescoping poles with spring pins to hold it securely (I am thinking 7ft from floor to ceiling...) and a slide out of the rear for additional room.
Should sleep 2 comfortably with a little kitchen - and I will probably scrounge other camping parts etc...from one of those ugly @$$ Pontiac Aztec's. What a POS - but some interesting use of space and storage!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Mudding

here you go....

Attached Thumbnails Your camping rigs-110%2520vollcamper.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Mudding

.....or maybe you like your coffee hot?

Attached Thumbnails Your camping rigs-rrcooker2.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Mudding

campist.com has a ton of great tents designed for multiple SUV/vans/cars... most run around 300$ There are a few on there I like ALOT

Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
TReK

Pretty sweet. I always wanted a VW Bug camper... That LR looks sweet!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well.. UNLIKE everyone else here are PICTURES of my rig when I go camping. I either load up the roof rack or we take the pop up camper:

Name:  Loadingup.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  111.4 KB
Name:  DSC00613.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  135.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0990.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  122.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  128.9 KB

And one of our setup when we get there!
Name:  IMG_0931.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  108.5 KB

I am also a representative of 3dog camping USA which will be fully up and running with trailers and RTT in the next couple of months.

Our site is under construction but you can see the australian site here:
3 Dog Camping

Last edited by ColoDisco; 05-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Your camping rigs