Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$600 Extended Warranty - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $600 Extended Warranty - Worth It?

The dealer I bought my Rover from offers a 5 yr. 100,000 mi. warranty for $600. It covers the engine, transmission and transfer case if they "blow-up". I'm a bit skeptical since thatseems so cheap, but the dealer said that he just switched to this company by recommendation from another dealer and he has had "decent" luck with them so far. Also, I haven't been able to find anything specific about what "blowing-up" means, as the dealer put it. I can't find anything in writing other than it "covers" the engine, transmission and water pump. Obviously anything wear-and-tear wouldn't be covered.Any opinions out there?

If it were for my Jeep, I wouldn't bother with it, that thing will go until the body falls apart. I know very little about Land Rover's other than problems I keep hearinghear about.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $600 Extended Warranty - Worth It?

That does sound cheap! I would want to see everything spelled out in specific detail before I hand over the cash.

Here is some interesting info on extended warranties for used Rovers at this weblink that I found on this forum: http://www.rangerovers.net/rrwarranties.htm

TheAdmin of the website admits to getting a kick-back fromthese companies in the form of sponsoring his website, but claims glowing customer satisfaction and praise for the warrantie companies.

I just got a quote from one of them. The basic warrantee, which sounds like it would be the equivelant of the one your dealer is offering you, is $1,100 for 5yr/150k miles over the milage I already have, which would be 33K miles...so 5yr/183k miles. The warrantee is very specific about what exactly it covers.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty cheap. Ditto on thoroughly reading the language. The issues folks are running in to with extended warranties is that the warranty companies are very very strict. They will want proof that the repair is due to wear and tear, not neglect. In some cases I have read lately, oil change records and maintenance records were not enough, the company wanted the individual to take it to a mechanic, pay to prove that it was wear and tear, and after that proof still didn't want to pay and made the guy takethe partto a metallurgist!

I think that was an extreme case, but there are alot of similar stories. I don't want to say it is not worth it, just read your policy carefully. You will most likely get a repair paid for, just expect your vehicle to be down while you negotiate with them to get it paid for.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You want to see and read carefully the actual contract, something smeells very strange and it's not your Disco.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'll have to push the dealer AGAIN, to find out more about it. The company is "autosave" and it seems to be based on some sort of magical additive that you put in for coolant and oil which makes the engine warm up faster, run cooler and distributes the heat evenly reducing wear. Sounds great if it actually works.Looking at the website, it covers only the "hardparts" in the powertrain. I'm a little leery because I have no record of what has been done to my vehicle in the past 87K miles, so if something does break they may say it was because the vehicle was not maintained properly. So if the timing chain breaks (I don't think this isontheLR service schedule), they could easilly say thatit was stretched and worn due to contaminated oil in the past. If I had proof that everything has been done to the vehicle correctly in the past, thatwould be different.
I googled "autosave warranty" and it seems like a lot of dealers are pushing these people for some reason. There are a number of complaints too, but they mostly seem pretty unwarranted.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

They make alot of profit from selling this C--p.