Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Disco Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:59 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Disco Brake issues

Found your forum today & read with interest the issues you are discussing. I am experiencing many of the same things with my 00 Disco Series 2 with 58K mi.

Does anyone have experience with fitting different brand aftermarket brake pads & disks?

I am about to change mine out but have no knowledge of what brands perform well.

I went to an independent dealer in Houston about the ABS/Traction Control/Hill Descent lights. They have been going on & off for a couple of months at random times. He suggested that is was a sticking shuttle valve in the ABS modulator block and that this was a known problem & a new ABS modulator block was required at $1700 as it is a non servicable item.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 00 Disco Brake issues

EBC Link

Old 04-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Mudding

I just redid my rotors and brakes using EBC rotors and pads. Parts were about $500 (I have a disco 1). The procedure is fairly easy, if you are mechanically inclined. For me, the toughest part was finding a 2-1/16" socket for the hubs. Took about 1-1/2 hours per rotor, with repacking of the bearings.

So far, I have been happy with the EBC brakes. I have about 600 miles on them, and they are noticeably better than my last ones.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:04 PM
6th Gear

Try a brake bleed first....My stopping power was crappy at best, so I got the brakes bled and night and day difference. It's suppose to be done every 30K miles, so it's a cheap starting point.
Next step I guess would be vented/cross drilled rotors and better front pads...

Cheers

Old 04-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Mudding

i have the same year disco. 2, i havnt had any problems, but then again im not the first owner.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Overlanding

I have a 2000 Disco II also, and I just finished replacing pads and rotors. If you are in Houston, you are in luck. I shopped and found the best price at MotorCars LTD in Houston (I am in Atlanta). Even with shipping, they were the most cost effective. Nice guys, too. A full set of Ferodo pads and replacement rotors was about $350. Unlike the D1 mentioned, on the DII you don't need a big socket or have to repack any bearings. I found a website that gave photos and step by step instructions on the replacement process. The hardest part is sometimes getting the rotors to separate from the hubs. Rust and gunk build up around the wheel lugs. Just grab the rotor with both hands and start rocking it back and forth. Eventually there will be some movement and, after awhile, the rotor will break free. I also sprayed WD40 around the lugs to help loosen things up.

Regarding which brand to use, my understanding is that both Lucas and Ferrodo have been used as OEM. As I said, I put new Ferrodos on and have had no complaints.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Mudding

Use PB Blaster (you can get it at NAPA) if the hubs are rusted to the rotors. Which they will be. WD40 doesn't work as well, as it's main purpose (historically) has been to prevent rust by displacing it. For extra points at trivia, WD40 is short for Water Displacement number 40.

The Brembo cross drilled rotors are also nice, but a pain if you do any serious off-roading. The holes fill up with mud. I had to stick a little wire through just about every hole to get them clean. I could have probably lived with them partly plugged, but my OCD tendencies got in the way of that.[sm=loser.gif]