Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Disco 2 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Disco 2 Will Not Start

Hello-
First post here. I have 2 identical 02, disco 2 models, twin daughters . One of them will not start. Daughter pulled in the driveway, shut it off, sat for about an hour and when she turns the key, system lights up, dings like normal but nothing happens when we turn the key. I tried to jump the battery and nothing. I looked at the XYZ sensor on the tranny and it seems to move freely as we shift in and out of gears. I checked all fuses/relays related to starter and all are good. I guess I'm down to the starter or the Crank position sensor? When you turn the key, no noise is made at all. No clicking or grinding, no lights flash on and off. The moo roofs zip up and down with ease as do the Windows. Radio plays fine. I have even held the key forward while shifting through the gears. I'm dead in the water here. Any suggestions before I drag it onto a trailer and head for the mechanic? $$$$$ Thanks!
JW
Grand Ledge, MI

Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 825 Likes on 600 Posts

Those are not crankshaft position sensor symptoms. Close to 40 years ago I had a car with those symptoms. Turned out to be a bad cable connection at the starter. I pulled the positive cable at the starter, cleaned it to remove corrosion, etc. and reinstalled it. That solved the problem. As far as the XYZ try putting the truck in Neutral instead of Park to start it.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Yep sounds like a bad wire to the starter, or issue with the starter itself. With a bad crank position sensor the engine will still turn over it just will not fire.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't brow bust me for this but I solved the issue. It wasn't anything mechanical. Not sure how I stumbled upon this but as I was trying to start the truck, I accidentally hit the lock button. I immediately hit the unlock button and the truck started like normal and has been fine all afternoon. I'm willing to bet my daughter did the same thing. Talk about eating humble pie....

Old 08-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaswinger
Don't brow bust me for this but I solved the issue. It wasn't anything mechanical. Not sure how I stumbled upon this but as I was trying to start the truck, I accidentally hit the lock button. I immediately hit the unlock button and the truck started like normal and has been fine all afternoon. I'm willing to bet my daughter did the same thing. Talk about eating humble pie....
Was that the issue for sure? Or just a coincidence? I can't remember ever having to do anything with the door locks to start mine.
If it starts acting up again, check the small wire on the starter for 12 volts when you turn the key to "start". If you don't get voltage there, I would check the ignition switch.