Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Disco II: Transmission, axle and tranfer case oil check/change questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Thanks, btw I will add whoever designed those fill ports must have a good sense of humor especially the transfer case fill hole that was a fun one to get off.

Next up change the ignition cables and then tackle the 3 amigos but I don't think they are going anywhere until I fix my broken wheel hub. Thanks guys.
Saw you mention doing the 3 amigos and cables next. There is very little if nothing that you can do regarding the 3 amigos. Do your brakes squeak, if you throw a hard panic stop, can you feel the ABS pulsate?
As for the wires, who's wires will you be using and do you have secondary air injection.
I will be glad to help you with either.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well my mechanic did but he is not a rover guy just a regular import mechanic though. He diagnosed it by pulling on the left front wheel when it was up on the lift. When you pull straight out on the wheel (perpendicular to the face of the wheel, parallel to the ground) there is about maybe 1/4 - 1/2" of play plus my steering wheel shakes a lot at medium speeds. Nothing else is loose on the front end to cause the shake and it goes away at high speed. Could that be something else?
The Hubs do fail, well the bearings actually, but they are non-servicable, so you have to replace the whole hub.

Any play at the wheel is the bearing pooped, just done one of mine. A little less movement than you have, but easily noticable with the vehicle of the wheels. grab the wheel at 9:15 and 6 o'clock and wiggle, if theres play its had it......Mine looked like this when it was off.......

Full write up here

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/fronthub.html

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Saw you mention doing the 3 amigos and cables next. There is very little if nothing that you can do regarding the 3 amigos. Do your brakes squeak, if you throw a hard panic stop, can you feel the ABS pulsate?
As for the wires, who's wires will you be using and do you have secondary air injection.
I will be glad to help you with either.
I do not have any brake squeek, I used to though it went away. I was thinking that since my hub was bad (I do believe it is the bearing as nothing else makes sense) so that either the shaking of the left front tire at medium speeds shook the abs sensor off a bit or maybe some gear oil got on the sensor. May ABS does work not my traction control though. My plan for that is to replace the hub, change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes and clean the abs sensors. If that does not work I will replace that ABS filter part or whatever it is called (The $50ish part not the whole module).

On the ignition wires I have 8mm magnecors on the way from Apex. On the SAI I am thinking I do not (my wires seem to be pretty well accessible compared to how others describe theirs) but I will look again when I get the wire and am back under the hood.

Again Mike thanks for the offer I will take you up on it after I get the wires from Apex. I am in NY they are in PA so I am guessing I will be tackling this on Friday.

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
The Hubs do fail, well the bearings actually, but they are non-servicable, so you have to replace the whole hub.

Any play at the wheel is the bearing pooped, just done one of mine. A little less movement than you have, but easily noticable with the vehicle of the wheels. grab the wheel at 9:15 and 6 o'clock and wiggle, if theres play its had it......Mine looked like this when it was off.......
Yep you describe my wheel "play" exactly. Too bad the damn hubs cost $400.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I will add whoever designed those fill ports must have a good sense of humor especially the transfer case fill hole that was a fun one to get off.
The humor is from the designing engineer that finalized the blueprints for this product...After he caught a maintenance man uuuu hittin on his wife.