Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 DII blower fan troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DII blower fan troubles

Hi guys,

i read thru alot of posts here relating to one of the issues i'm having with my '03 Disco, namely blower fan troubles.
Last week, the blower would not work at all on any of the speed settings. Then it happened to work for a few hours at all speeds, then it decided it would not work, and hasn't for the last week.
I took off the toe kick on the passenger side last nite to see if playing with the connections (possible dirty/corroded) would spark any life into it. Nothing. I couldn't get the blower to kick on with the truck on and fan on. I took a look at the RAVE cd and found where the relay and resistor are, and I hope to test them. Is this where I should start at? And how would I do that? I'm not a mechanic by any means, or close to it, just a guy hoping to save some money.
If those are bad, does it sound like the blower motor itself is bad? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

dan

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 03 DII blower fan troubles

You can find an automotive test light. It looks like a screwdrive with a sharp tip and a wire hanging out of the handle. Clip the wire to a bare piece of metal on your truck. Turn on the blower and stick the sharp end to the connections on the blower motor (metal to metal). The light will illuminate when positive voltage is found. If it lights up, you need a new motor. You chould also see the light brighten as the fan speed is set higher. Start there, it is the easiest place.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
7th Gear
Default RE: 03 DII blower fan troubles

thanks for the tip okdiscoguy.
my wife phoned me a few minutes ago to tell me that she has
heat again and all settings work just fine[:@]
All i did last night was was jiggle a few wires and unplug and plug back in what i thought was the relay (on the front lower left hand side of blower motor there was a blue plug that the connector was fastened to the motor itself) it was kinda just holding a clip in place that then held both male and female ends while plugged in.
I'm not sure if that made any sense what-so-ever, but that's the best i can describe it.
What should i be looking for now? Does this sound normal? Then again, what is normal with Disco's???? I'm on my third one, and love them, but they are quite quirky. Once again, any help or suggestions offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

dan

Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
7th Gear

it's not working at all now (blower) on any setting. I'm picking up a test light today and will test it tonight. Is the fact that the blower is not working PERIOD and indication that it's the blower motor? OR is there a possibility it could be the resistor, relay? Thanks again,

dan

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
6th Gear

I had the exact same problem a few months ago. It turned out to be a bad connection on the wire that is "attached" to the side of the blower housing. I took it apart and cleaned it. It's been working fine since. It took several days to find the and I only found it by accident even though that connection is probably the most visible one under the dash.