Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco HSE - Cracked Engine Block, looking for solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta say if you can't get the equipment and time to slowly rebuild on a new or used block I would say move on.

You could check local scrap yards for 4.0 and 4.6 blocks. They are compatible. Your indy shop should be able to swap it all over. What is your budget, time frame, and do you have another car to drive in the mean time?

If the world was just that LR Dealership should be dropping a new 4.6 in that sucker free of charge. What a bunch of scumbags. Dealer maintenance means nothing.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 01-06-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
If you decide your done with it, you may want to read thru a thread on here about the "adventures of irontite."
If his crack is so big that it can be seen on the top of the block, I don't think a bottle sealer will help.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're willing to sacrifice some ponies, I think a used 4.0L is a great idea, and incredibly cheap. If hp is a concern, drop in a hot cam from D&D, electric fan and a magnaflow exhaust and you're probably at the 4.6 power level.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

find a good 4.0 block fill it with your pistons, rods & crank and you have a 4.6 again

Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Capital202
With the labor to install I am looking at around 8k. My local shop has presented me with this option. The new block design is great, but I don't have that amount to put into it.
Another motor issue...Shock!
I say sell it and be done with it.....the newer block design this is the best option.
If you can find another 4.6 stock motor with miles on it you are still looking at 3-6k and you have a 50/50 chance of same or worse issue. Why have the anxiety that this will fix your issue?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After giving it some thought...

I am probably going to hold onto it and make it a project. Selling the truck for what it is worth in this state would in my mind be a waste, if I am not going to receive compensation for what it is actually worth I might as well hold onto it and turn it into something on my own. I really love this truck and wouldnt mind using it as a learning experience to get under the hood and make **** happen.

I have been going over it with a few buddies of mine who are mechanics for BMW and they are all about it of course, having rebuilt entire trucks themselves. If I purchase one of the new engines with the top hat cylinders and do a straight swap one motor for the old, it should not be too complicated with the right amount of attention and research put into it. I am confident in my intelligence and with the truck already the way it is, what do I have to lose...?

Swap internals for a new block alone, or drop a full set in for the old?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capital202
Apologize guys,

I live in Washington DC, I was in bedford because I went to the University of New Hampshire.

SDinDS: It is a crack in the block. The mechanic at my local land rover spot brought me back and showed me. The crack is between the bolt pilot hole and the coolant channel. When the block heats up and the metal expands the crack allows coolant into the cylinder and it misfires.
Thank you for all the links.

In terms of doing it myself, I do not have the space or equipment to do so.

I do love my discovery and would like to keep it alive if possible. I would need to contact my shop to see what they would be willing to do; in terms of getting a bare block and having them swap everything into that.

If I were to part out, what is the potential amount I could make from it, and how long does that usually take with other guys on here?
Chances are that crack was there already, and that's the reason you had to have the heads machined. BTW, how did you know that you needed to have them machined? I didn't know head machining was a routine maintenance item...

Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you have $6-7k jump on a good manufactured motor like GPR, Cannibal or AB. or if your poor like the rest of us find a good used block (not 03) have it machined and flanged liners installed and go from there you already had the head done.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I got a 4.0 block that you could swap your reciprocating assembly into. (or just leave it alone and run it)

Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on the amount of funds you have available. Of course the Top Hat long block with the 3 year warranty is the safest option, but probably the most expensive too.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd be searching Craigslist for Discos and p38 Range Rovers with busted transmissions, or wrecked or what not. They go RIDICULOUSLY cheap here in Alabama. I just last year bought a nice 1999 p38 Range Rover with the 4.0L in it for 2200 dollars. Only 113,000 miles on it and runs like new, it only needed a minor repair in the transfercase. Ive seen them as low as 1500 dollars with running engines, but with some other major problem, like air suspension issues, transmission issues or body damage. My mechanic does complete engine swaps for less than 500 dollars, and does great work! Of course have the engine checked before you buy, and if it checks out the biggest worry you would have is having to replace the head gaskets sometime in the future if they haven't been done yet, but a lot of them will have been done by 100K. Taking this option will also leave you with a Parts Truck you can keep for parts or Part out online to help pay for the expenses. I know you are in New England and the prices I'm throwing out may sound low to you, but hey...People are poor in Alabama! Also if it isn't a Z71 or FX4 in Alabama NOBODY wants it! Except me of course.... Theres 5 Land Rovers in my home town, and I own 2 of them lol.

Maybe it's time you took a road trip to Alabama or I'd bet they're even cheaper in the MS delta area. You ain't seen poor till you go down there...The amount of disposible income that the public has down here is so low it keeps prices at rock bottom on stuff that isn't an actual must-have to survive. Like 10 to 15 year old Land Rovers lol...