Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Disco Wont start need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Disco Wont start need help.

Backstory,
I recently bought this 03 disco it has roughly 140K miles on it. I've been driving it around for 2 weeks now and its been running like a dream. Except for the Ac I was planing on replacing the clutch on the compressor this weekend. I was driving yesterday and my Ultragauge alarm went off, displaying code P1481. I haven't been able to find a definite answer to what this code is. So I go to start the truck this morning and it turns over, but before it gets up and running it shuts off. I try it again and it starts up but is really loud for a minute and then idles normal. I drive of do some errands stop for lunch. During this time the truck starts fine and drives normal. I stop at the local farmers market for about an hour leaving my disco parked. When I tried to start it again, It almost turned over before giving out and now just clicks.

Any ideas what it could be?
Could a bad compressor clutch keep the engine from turning over?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, you have a dead battery and or a possible bad alternator.
I can't even find that fault code number in any of my code sheets.
No, the a/c clutch won't cause this and why are you wanting to replace it?

Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Disco Mike for the reply, I know the battery isn't dead. The Ultra gauge still shows that it has 12v. And everything in the car powers up. I guess Ill be looking into an alternator.

As far as the ac clutch, I'm in florida with no ac at the moment and summer has started. I pulled it apart since my last message and there wasn't much left of the coil or the bearing. Ill be putting on the new parts in the morning.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

I forgot when I google P1481 most of the threads I've read through pretty much say what you said. That they cant find it listed anywhere. I did read one though that said it refers to the evap system

Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With out the engine running all you can read is the surface charge left in the battery. Your electrical system/computers need somewhere between 13.6 and 14.4 volts whole running under a full load.
If you hear a clicking sound that is caused by a near dead battery the makes the starter solenoid chatter .

Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Think of battery voltage as height, like a tall skinny guy. He may not have the amps (power) that comes with muscle and body mass. You can have a battery reading good volts, but throw a load on it, like head lights, AC fan, all the widgets under the hood, and a wimpy battery can fade out fast. Now if the battery itself reads stong at the battery under load (not at the UG), you can have a bad connection (battery cables, the ground connection to the frame, the engine block to the frame, etc.).

The starter draws almost 300 amps. One dirty connection can drop the volts going to starter and it won't run. Of course it can make bad all by itself as well.