Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc II wont crank, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disc II wont crank, wont start

I am new to the forum and new Land Rovers. I have a 2002 Discovery II with about 84000 miles on it. I have owned it about a month and have had no problems to date. While driving it the other day my said that when she turned the key nothing happened, but after a few minutes of continued tries it started fine. It happened to me the first time yesterday, but started fine after a couple of minutes. Today it will not start again. All dash lights work fine, and even tried to use my portable jump starter and no change at all. I can hear a relay click under dash and under the seat. The radio and clock dims when key is turned, then return to normal after i release key to accs position. Any help with direction to follow would be immensely appreciated.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

I have actually answered my own question. I also have a 1998 volvo v70 that has a quirky shifter. On the volvo the key will not come out until the shift lever fully depresses. So i gave the shifter in the Land Rover a little push toward park and ureka it started fine.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached for description of interlock - from RAVE manual, free at link below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 shift interlock.pdf (1.42 MB, 295 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by gustav23
I am new to the forum and new Land Rovers. I have a 2002 Discovery II with about 84000 miles on it. I have owned it about a month and have had no problems to date. While driving it the other day my said that when she turned the key nothing happened, but after a few minutes of continued tries it started fine. It happened to me the first time yesterday, but started fine after a couple of minutes. Today it will not start again. All dash lights work fine, and even tried to use my portable jump starter and no change at all. I can hear a relay click under dash and under the seat. The radio and clock dims when key is turned, then return to normal after i release key to accs position. Any help with direction to follow would be immensely appreciated.
I am having this same issue with my 04 discovery... was your issue the starter?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be that the shifter had nothing to do with it too. I would keep an eye on teh starter too and if it does it again use the tire iron to tap it a couple of times and then it may start. The good news is that they are easy to replace if that is the cause.