Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Discovery... flashing m&s lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Discovery... flashing m&s lights

Just had my transmission fluid , filter,gasket changed.. now my M & S lights are flashing.. only seem to go on when I start the truck and engage the tranny in reverse , little bit of a" klunk " when first put into gear.. Mind you there were now problems before the transmission service, just doing some preventative maintenance before the 3000 mile trek across country..

I have checked the charging system and battery, all is well, so they have been ruled out.. I wouldn't think it was the xy switch because like I said no problems before the transmission service was done..

Any help would be appreciated

Respectfully,Mike

Old 09-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Drifting

well as they come on staight away seems to be electric problem
broken wire not reconnected connector etc
you should hook it up and read faults
difficult to quess

Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
4wd Low

Seems as though the M & S lights and the D light on the dash don't start flashing until I go from P to D.. If I then shift to N shut the engine of restart and shift to 1st or 2nd then to D lights go of and stay off, until I start from P to D again... drained the transmission today after doing the initial service 2 days ago and same thing... I think the code came back as low signal to the Xyz switch... again no problems until after the transmission service was done 2 days ago ...

Thanks for the response

Mike

Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Winching

Post the exact code that you are getting.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Have you had your drive shaft rebuilt?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by BigBoss0311
Have you had your drive shaft rebuilt?
What does the driveshaft have to do with the flashing M&S lights.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by tarpon66
Seems as though the M & S lights and the D light on the dash don't start flashing until I go from P to D.. If I then shift to N shut the engine of restart and shift to 1st or 2nd then to D lights go of and stay off, until I start from P to D again... drained the transmission today after doing the initial service 2 days ago and same thing... I think the code came back as low signal to the Xyz switch... again no problems until after the transmission service was done 2 days ago ...

Thanks for the response

Mike
Mike,

My 03 exhibited similar problems. When shifting from P to R, then backing up, when I moved into D, the flashing would start. I could restart in N, then drive off and the flashing would stop, transmission would shift through the D gears normally. It really seems like moving through the reverse position caused a short or something, like there was a bad connection.

Replacing the xyz switch took care of the problem. XYZ switch in a Land Rover box brand new was $249.

My theory on these xyz switches is that the air conditioner drain on the left side dumps water right on it. How smart is that design? Still love my Discovery though.

Good luck. Jeff

Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM
4wd Low

Jeff, thanks for the response.. Could you please tell me where you picked up the XYZ switch???

Best regards,Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM
4wd Low
Default Aftermarket XYZ switch

Thanks again Jeff,

Found an after-market XYZ Switch at rockauto.com

RockAuto Parts Catalog

$237

Cheers Guys

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon66
Jeff, thanks for the response.. Could you please tell me where you picked up the XYZ switch???

Best regards,Mike
I know you have mentioned that your battery is good, don't care, go to a local parts store, have them do their free charging system test and see what that shows, should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts other wise that can make your lights flash.

Quick Reply: 03 Discovery... flashing m&s lights