Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 D2 no power past idle after small water hole passing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 D2 no power past idle after small water hole passing.

Hi Land Rover forums,

I recently picked up my 04 D2 as a 2nd "just for fun vehicle" and the first time I ever did any type of offroading in it I went through a mud puddle about 8" deep at about 10 mph and as soon as I came out of it I had no power past idle speeds. I tried mashing the gas a few time and nothing just stayed the same but then about 2 minutes later I tried again and it slowly came back up and within another minute I had full power back.

First thing I did when I got home was pull off the air box cover to check for water and it was dry and drove fine. Can anyone please explain what might have happend? Soo confused

-Nick

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NickDII
Hi Land Rover forums,

I recently picked up my 04 D2 as a 2nd "just for fun vehicle" and the first time I ever did any type of offroading in it I went through a mud puddle about 8" deep at about 10 mph and as soon as I came out of it I had no power past idle speeds. I tried mashing the gas a few time and nothing just stayed the same but then about 2 minutes later I tried again and it slowly came back up and within another minute I had full power back.

First thing I did when I got home was pull off the air box cover to check for water and it was dry and drove fine. Can anyone please explain what might have happend? Soo confused

-Nick
Wish I could give some insight, but I had the same thing happen to me twice in mine. Once was off road, and hit a 6" deep, 10' long puddle with the driver's side at maybe 15 or so. The 2nd time was crossing a flooded section of road. Maybe 12" of water at 15 MPH. Other times nothing though. No CEL, no issues after. Idled fine but no power, then came back. I didn't have an ultra gauge at that point, so I don't know if any codes came up that didn't trigger the CEL but still registered.
The 1st time it happened, I did notice some water in the airbox though, but didn't know if it happened while I was opening it up or not. Good chance if it was for you, it could have dried up by the time you got home. Quite a bit of air being sucked through there.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info eventually I would wheel this truck but don't like the idea of water being able to be sucked into the intake so easily. Any mods out there to prevent this short of installing a snorkel?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NickDII
Thanks for the info eventually I would wheel this truck but don't like the idea of water being able to be sucked into the intake so easily. Any mods out there to prevent this short of installing a snorkel?
I'm not sure that is the issue or not though. Would like to hear more opinions. These trucks are usually good in the water.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same issue going through about a 100 yard section of water that was up to the bottom of the door... about half way in doing steady throttle the rpms dropped, no increase in gas would recovery it... it didnt stall though, just slight above idle, got me all the way out, then about 5 seconds out it was back to normal. water was no where near the intake... i assume something shorts out, or the comp loses input from somewhere and limps until signal responds? maybe theres a longer timeout period for whatever it is before it throws a code?

ps/ i was haulin considerable *** through it so water def sprayed up somewhere too, but filter was dry

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is my old post. I really need to recreate this now with the ultra gauge installed. That should be telling.