Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this '04 a deal, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling

A supposed rebuild without paper work is no rebuild in my book. The tick on acceleration only could be 'just' a cracked flexplate. All the other electrical problems, especially the radio would worry me. If you're still interested, I would definitely get a good PPI before discussing anything else.

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:43 AM
|
Mudding

I'm cool with it. I knew I was looking at a "cheap" truck. Not as "cheap" as the one I've been driving for 3 years, however. This was in the same zip code and only a half gallon away.

I'm also in no rush, as I need to list and sell mine before really buying one... unless I find a "deal".

Old 03-24-2013 | 01:09 PM
|
Mudding

Oh and there was a weird whirring noise when driving.

Old 03-24-2013 | 03:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by iambhooper
Oh and there was a weird whirring noise when driving.
Did it sound like a shop-vac? My SAI sounds like that when the vehicle is cold. I don't think it shouldn't be running for more than the first couple minutes though.

Also, I try to never look at a car in the rain.

Sounds like a bunch of little, somewhat rewarding projects (ashtray/coin tray, headliner, sunroof, etc.), but there will be some money involved. Maybe try a low cash offer and move on if they don't bite.

Old 03-24-2013 | 05:09 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by G150driver
Did it sound like a shop-vac? My SAI sounds like that when the vehicle is cold. I don't think it shouldn't be running for more than the first couple minutes though.

Also, I try to never look at a car in the rain.

Sounds like a bunch of little, somewhat rewarding projects (ashtray/coin tray, headliner, sunroof, etc.), but there will be some money involved. Maybe try a low cash offer and move on if they don't bite.
I usually ad-hear to the same car shopping mentality. What is a SAI? It probably did sound a bit like a shop vac. I did notice the fluid slush through the power steering resevour (never seen it move around like that before).

Yes, the little projects themselves would have been tolerable, however the engine noise turned me off. The owner is asking $4999 for an '04 with 128,000 miles. Not bad, but when you add all the little things together, and then the thought that it needs a complete rebuild.... your looking at an additional $4000 in fix up. I would rather start with a known quantity and go from there.

Old 03-24-2013 | 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench

I usually ad-hear to the same car shopping mentality. What is a SAI? It probably did sound a bit like a shop vac. I did notice the fluid slush through the power steering resevour (never seen it move around like that before).
The whirring from SAI (Secondary Air Injection) is in fact only for the first minute or two on startup, and only when cold.

My transmission makes a whirring sound between shifts, and it sounds ok to me. It's not a sound I'm accustomed to, but again, does not sound like an issue.

The steering fluid does in fact flow quickly around in the reservoir.

Last edited by SuperSport; 03-24-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2013 | 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Update.... I went and looked at it. The motor was supposedly rebuilt several years ago, but it had an unusual tick under acceleration (possible slipped sleeve?) that wasn't there at idle and there was a slight miss. The drivers window regulator and power seat, and radio didn't work. The change cup and ashtray didn't pop out, headliner sagged and the front sunroof didn't open.

As it was raining, I couldn't tell about the paint but the passenger side of the front bumper was cracked and it looked like it was going to need tires in the near future.

The black leather seats did look really nice for the mileage and it drove fairly well.
More likely an exhaust leak, but could be anything.

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:32 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
More likely an exhaust leak, but could be anything.
No, I'm familiar with the sound of an exhaust leak. The sound was not an exhaust leak sound.

I'll sum it up this way... in the past 14 years, I've restored 1 Fiero and then performed a motor swap, built or rebuilt Fiat, Honda an Mazda Race cars, plus owned a Rover for 3 years.

I would say that when a sound is enough to scare me off at X price, it's probably severe.

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

THIS IS JUST ME: I'd rather buy a truck with no issues, pay more up front, and deal with the things that come up from there. If you start with a clean slate, the issues that pop up are easier to diagnose. If you start with a truck with semi-working systems, you just can't determine (before you buy) what you're getting into. Case in point, you may have a mechanic look at it and determine you have X & Y problems. You may not know what other issues exist until you solve X & Y so the initial diagnosis is almost always incomplete. I spent $12K on mine (04, SE7, no issues, low mi). Like I said though, that's me. I don't mind fixing stuff, but I'm too busy to diagnose anymore.