Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Disco 2 - Won't Start after Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Disco 2 - Won't Start after Timing Chain Replacement

Hello -
Looking for some guidance on a 2004 Discovery 2 that will no longer start.

Any suggestions, tips, or insights are greatly appreciated!

For some crazy reason, I thought changing the Timing Chain and Oil pump sounded like a good way to spend a weekend. After going through the exercise and reassembling the truck, I ran into a real issue.

Here is the work i did:
Replaced Oil pump gears
Replaced Timing chain and gears
Replaced timing cover gasket
Replaced oil pan gasket
Replaced water pump

After this work, i tried to turn the truck on. It fired up for 2-3 seconds, and then shut off. Would turn over, but would not turn on after that.

At this stage, I checked fuel pump fuse, inertia switch, fuel pump, and spark.
All looked good.

I bought a code reader, but i am not getting any codes since the truck will not turn on.

HOWEVER, interestingly enough - if I use the 'clear code', the truck will again turn on for 2-3 seconds (runs rough), but will die after that and remain off (will crank, but will not fire).

At this point, i am looking back at the work i did and want to make sure i know what i am doing before taking it all apart again.

Here are my questions:
Oil pump gears: There are 3 places on the inner gear that will accept the key on the crank shaft. Is there an orientation that the pump gears need to be in, or will it only fit one way? I cannot find any information on this, so if there is a link to a write up I would greatly appreciate that help.

Timing: I was 99% sure I did this right. However, faced with the fact that the truck will not run i am questioning myself. Has anyone ever had to test for timing and if so, can you explain how it is done?

CPS: The fact that i had spark on a plug made me think that this was not the issue. However, can the CPS fail but still have spark to a spark plug?

Any other troubleshooting tips or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I am at a complete loss.

Last edited by ThatE30Guy; 12-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

My money is that you accidentally flubbed the timing. Just remove the front cover and check. You don't need a new gasket, just use black RTV when you put it back and be careful on the crank seal.

The following users liked this post:
ThatE30Guy (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Your new gear should have had two spots that have to be lined up. Also did you check the camshaft senor plug

Originally Posted by Alex_M
My money is that you accidentally flubbed the timing. Just remove the front cover and check. You don't need a new gasket, just use black RTV when you put it back and be careful on the crank seal.

ThatE30Guy (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You did plug in both sensors on the front cover correct? If not this would probably explain your dilemma. One is the oil pressure sensor the other is the CMP sensor. While oil pressure switch would give you a light but allow the engine to run the cmp sensor would cause the engine not to run.

ThatE30Guy (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
You did plug in both sensors on the front cover correct? If not this would probably explain your dilemma. One is the oil pressure sensor the other is the CMP sensor. While oil pressure switch would give you a light but allow the engine to run the cmp sensor would cause the engine not to run.
I'm curious what the solution is. Either timing or cam sensor for sure. You can just get your fingers on the cam sensor without removing anything, if you follow the wire. You can barely get to the oil sensor if you remove the shroud, fan, and tensioner pulley, and really skinny fingers or a good set of long, thin pliers. If it isn't any of those (won't be the oil sensor... mine was disconnected for years and didn't throw a light) it has to be the alignment of the gears. As Alex said, just use black RTV to put the front cover on... the first time I did that was the first time I didn't have a leak from the front cover.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all of the help thus far.

I am going to take a close look at the cam sensor and make sure that I have it installed correctly. I can see that it is indeed plugged in, but i will pull it out and make sure it is seated well.

I saw online that some folks are replacing the O-ring around it. I didn't do that to begin with, so i will run to the hardware store to pick one up.

In the meantime, is there any information about how to get the truck back in time if that is the case?
When i installed the chain and gears, I did match up the dots. I thought i did it right, but again - with the issues i am having, i wouldn't be surprised if i messed it up.
If that ends up being the case, do i just need to rotate the shafts so that the dots line up?

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatE30Guy
Thanks so much for all of the help thus far.

I am going to take a close look at the cam sensor and make sure that I have it installed correctly. I can see that it is indeed plugged in, but i will pull it out and make sure it is seated well.

I saw online that some folks are replacing the O-ring around it. I didn't do that to begin with, so i will run to the hardware store to pick one up.

In the meantime, is there any information about how to get the truck back in time if that is the case?
When i installed the chain and gears, I did match up the dots. I thought i did it right, but again - with the issues i am having, i wouldn't be surprised if i messed it up.
If that ends up being the case, do i just need to rotate the shafts so that the dots line up?

Thanks.
If the dots meet in the middle that's all you can do. Or, at least, that's all I know how to do and all the rave says.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

as long as the cam gears timing mark is at 6:00 and the crank gears is at 12:00 you did it right

Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Key?

Symptoms of running briefly and then not starting may indicate a sheared woodruff key.

Supposed you could do a compression test on a few cylinders to see if cam still rotating.

Last edited by number9; 12-29-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: gramar
Old 12-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Symptoms of running briefly and then not starting may indicate a sheared woodruff key.

Supposed you could do a compression test on a few cylinders to see if cam still rotating.

I'm pretty sure he would have noticed a sheared key when he was putting everything together.

Did you install both the cam gear and crank gear as one unit? Did you slide them on together. If not it could be possible to be a tooth off, but even one tooth off would not advance/retard the timing enough for the truck not to start just would lack power if retarded. That's what lead me to believe the cam sensor is your issue. Also clearing the computer allowed it to delete the no seņor input which was how you got it started the second time.

Quick Reply: '04 Disco 2 - Won't Start after Timing Chain Replacement