Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco OM617 Diesel Swap (Harvey)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice to know that now..

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
BigSky is there any update? As you may recall I was ready to do the same but the wiring/adapter/exhaust/transfer case issuesin combination, overwhelmed me. I ended up putting a rebuilt engine in mine. I feel puny reading your posts!!! Still have the OM617 in my functioning 300CD; love to read an update on your project.

Best,

Charlie V
Hey Charlie. I have been waiting for your progress and have posted a few prodding responses to your threads to find out what is going on with you. happens I have the flywheel that was holding up my progress and hoping to get some response from you. I will be happy to hear anything from you and maybe you should post a closed message to your thread.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

QUOTE=raeuspiShe439569]Hey Charlie. I have been waiting for your progress and have posted a few prodding responses to your threads to find out what is going on with you. happens I have the flywheel that was holding up my progress and hoping to get some response from you. I will be happy to hear anything from you and maybe you should post a closed message to your thread.[/QUOTE]

Hi Harvey. I got distracted by a blown HG in my 4.0 and several problems that spread from that. In the interim, I found a vendor for the adapter from an om617 to an R380 or zf4hp22 and found a good deal on a compushift ii for the automatic route. I studied Jarek 's video some more and have a good bead in the mounts. I think I am going to buy some extra mounts on eBay so I can make mistakes. I have tried and failed to find liquid mounts that will work.

Plan was to remove the om617 from the car and put it on the stand this weekend. It works fine but I want to replace the rings and gaskets. Then my catalytic converter clogged up, then I had to leave town. Next weekend I will have it out for sure.

The transmission adapter is about 400 from Sweden. SMT is the name of the company. Their setup is for an R380, so there is no bearing for the front of the auto transmission, but I can get that made easily. I was planning to get an R380 but I have been dumping money into the Rover recently.

I did find Jarek 's original box thread on New Jersey Rovers. He's obviously a good mechanic and fabricator. He leaves some things out but everything seems doable.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 01-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not posting for awhile. I have not got anywhere with this. Had to move so I am basically just calling it quits and am going to buy an LR3. My engine and adapter are for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Oh no... Hate to hear that. Sorry your project never got completed.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

That's a great shame as I was looking forward to your progress on this being an oilhead and not a petrolhead. Such a shame as it would have been a great challenge and interesting project. As they say, 'never say never' as it might still happen yet.

If you can run to it, go for the LR4 3.0 litre it's a better engine and more reliable all round. LR learned from their mistakes for a change.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

..... :[

Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
..... :[

Duh , my error SW, I'm in diesel mode not petrol . The 3.0 litre is the better diesel engine than the 2.7 litre diesel which undoubtedly isn't that interesting to you guys stateside.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So are you selling the project then?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well you got further than most, i got to give you credit

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSkyRover
Sorry for not posting for awhile. I have not got anywhere with this. Had to move so I am basically just calling it quits and am going to buy an LR3. My engine and adapter are for sale if anyone is interested.
BigSky what's the price for the engine and adapter? Does it include the adapter in the front between the torque converter and crank? A buddy of mine is super interested (he's not a member).

Quick Reply: 04 Disco OM617 Diesel Swap (Harvey)