Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Land Rover cranking issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Land Rover cranking issue

Good afternoon,

I have noticed over the last few days the Rover needs to turn over a few extra times before it cranks. Today I was driving and the Ultra Guage picked up 2 pending codes - P0171 and P0174. I then parked the truck and when I came back to crank it would not start. The engine was turning over and seemed like it was not getting enough gas? I was able to play with the pedal some and finally got it started. Drove the vehicle home and am having the same problem. Based off what I have read I think I may have O2 sensor issues, MAF sensor issues, or possibly a crankshaft problem. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I know many of you on here are very knowledgeable. Thank in advance.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dirty air filter, MAF sensor needs cleaning with made for MAF spray when engine is cold, unmetered air from a vacuum leak, etc. Next time it won't crank check for sparks, which would indicate crank position sensor.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Got a new air filter and MAF cleaning spray today. Will service when I get home from work and will report back. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Hbtd!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Does it start after sitting for a few hours? If it does, it is most likely a failing crank sensor, pretty common in the warn season.
How many miles on the engine, when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm plug wires?
The no start and the 2 codes you posted indicated you have 2 issues going on that are non-related.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Drifting

So today I cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the air filter, problem still persists. Even after the car sit overnight, it took a few turns for the rover to start. It seems as if it not getting enough fuel to start, as I have to pump the gas pedal to get it going. It will eventually start everytime but something is not right. I do not know how to check for a vacuum leak.

The truck has 93,000 miles on it and new plugs and 8mm wires were installed at 75,000 miles. I have completed most every item on you service list Disco Mike.

I'm definetely not a mechanic but could this be coming from a fuel pump issue? Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your responses soon to continue troubleshooting.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

If you drive the truck warmed up, and park, shut off, and come back in ten minutes, does it crank right up? Thinking that fuel prime issues would take longer to bleed down. In the morning try the position 2, wait, repeat several times.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Engine Code: p0174

Land Rover Engine Code: P0174 = System too rich (bank 2) Multiplication injector adaptive fuelling - rich limit exceeded RH bank.

Click to Process more Land Rover Engine Codes here

Engine Code: p0171

Land Rover Engine Code: P0171 = System too rich (bank 1) Multiplication injector adaptive fuelling - rich limit exceeded LH bank.

Click to Process more Land Rover Engine Codes here

You may have an exhaust leak that is throwing off your O2 sensors. Look for exhaust leaks.
Make sure SAI hoses are all on and connections are OK.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed that you likely have two different issues. The cold start issue won't involve the O2 sensors as at starting you have not gone to close loop fueling yet and O2 sensors are not controlling your truck.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Drifting

i do have an exhaust leak and can understand that throwing off the 02 sensors. Its just very strange that all of this started the same day, before that no codes just a few days of slow cranking.

I can drive the truck and have it warmed up... I then can turn it off and try to crank, it is slow and takes a few turns and pedal bumps to crank.

Any idea what is causing the poor starting?

Quick Reply: 04 Land Rover cranking issue