Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04' Rear Differential Flange Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 04' Rear Differential Flange Conversion

Hey erbody,

I am currently in the process of converting my 04' Rear Differential Pinion Flange to the 4 bolt pattern flange to install a Tom Woods Double Cardon shaft. After removing the drive shaft, and removing the centralizing peg I spot fit the new flange onto the diff and it seems that the mudshield outer diameter does not entirely fit inside the output of the differential face. The previous flange was spot fit back to verify the previous mudshield does indeed fit within the differential output of the diff casing.

The conversion kit that I ordered came with "Black Mudshield," and after some research I was able to confirm that this has been identified and to utilize the conversion kit with a "silver mudshield" to ensure the mudshield fits within the diameter of the Diff Casing.

Will bolting on the flange with the black mudshield cause issues? I obviously don't want to do this but if anyone has experience and knowledge that this mudshield is supposed to be bolted on that way it would be greatly appreciated.

If I cannot utilize the black mudshield and bolt on the flange, is it suitable or has anyone punched off the previous mudshield of the 3 bolt flange, removed the black mudshield, and installed on to the 4 bolt flange? If this is doable I wouldn't mind doing this option as it ensures the appropriate fitment.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to purchase a replacement silver mudshield to get it in the time needed, and I do not want to replace the rubber coupling.

Thanks,

Dean

Old 08-25-2022, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

I would probably start by asking the place you got this kit from.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:21 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Alex M has a great write-up here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-%24125-86975/

Are you referring to this circled part as shown in one of his pics?

Old 09-04-2022, 01:54 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Alex M has a great write-up here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-%24125-86975/

Are you referring to this circled part as shown in one of his pics?

Hey Gang,

Just got back from the Moab. Yes, that is the mudshield for which I am referring too.

Because of timing of this trip, I swapped the new shield that didn’t fit for the old one. I gently punched them off and swapped them.

After the Tom Woods driveshaft swap and the flange conversion there is a slight vibration at low speeds.

My plan is too look into an upgraded mudshield from the UK, verify the preload tightening of the flange, and see if that vibration persists.