Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v or 24v Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Big trucks are 24 volt, 2-4 batteries depending on the application, so if the winch was going onto a dump truck then you would need the 24v one.

As for the Optima batteries, I think they are over priced and way more than most people need, unless you are winching everyday all day then a good single battery is all you really need, 2 batteries will let you winch longer and run tons of lights, but for winching out of a hole twice a year...save your money.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would you recommend as a replacement battery to the Interstate that i am using?
also what size needed for a disco 2?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

In my humble opinion just buy a good name brand battery with the highest CCA that you can get in your size.
I have a Duralast Gold 1000CCA battery, my truck had a Interstate 800CCA battery when I bought it.
Last time I checked Consumer Reports rated the Duralast Gold batteries as one of the best, Interstate always rates good as well.

Size and rating are to different things on a car battery, the size is the physical size of the battery, the rating is the CCA (cold cranking amps) of the battery.
So as for what size your truck takes, I dont know.
As for what CCA should you get? Get the most that you can.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I would tend to steer you towards an AGM battery like this one from Napa

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...th+-+Universal

It is similar to an Optima. I am not sure who makes it for them, but it is a very high quality battery and I have had great luck with them in a John Deere R Tractor (12V) and a Case tractor 12V which is VERY high vibration and it bounces around 100% of the time!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mrossipir
I have a 2000 Disco 2 and I am buying a Superwinch EPi9.0. Do I want the 12v or the 24v? Difference is over 250 bucks?
Also, does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same for Warn and Superwinch? It will be bolted onto a Rovertym front bumper.
I'd offer that if you don't know enough about your car as basic as knowing if you want a 12v or 24v winch, don't buy one, it could end up killing you.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by stu44mag
Optimas are having quality control issues and are not honoring their warranties. Buyer beware! I have a couple of older Optimas and have never had a problem with them, but there are numerous horror stories of late. Do some research before you buy. There are a number of Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries out there that are packaged for different car parts stores (Napa, etc.) AGM Batteries are definitely worth the extra $ though, especially for severe use.
I don't think any HD Pickups have 24v systems. It's mostly over the road trucks and military trucks that run 24V systems. The over the road trucks actually have 12V accessories and just use the 24V for the starting system. My '05 Dodge diesel has two batteries, but they are in wired in parallel similar to Mikes set up. My Deuce and a half has two batteries wired in series and is a full 24V system. I built a step down transformer for it to pull 12V trailers with and for a 12V accessory outlet. I've had dual optimas on that for about six years and they start the truck easily in -17 degree weather. Look around though.
Also, in general if you do not draw down your batteries using heavy loads (such as a winch, power inverters, auxiliary lights, hot tub, etc) then there is no need to buy the yellow top or deep cycle batteries. A standard AGM battery is plenty. Plus a deep cycle battery is generally a bit more expensive and a bit heavier.
How recently have you heard this about Optima's, I know they used to have an issue, but I was under the understanding it was long since cleaned up?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Admittedly it was about 8 months ago that I was looking into them for another project. I had a dead one that was about a year old at the time and when I took it into Checker auto where it was originally purchased, they would initially not warranty it because the manufacturer was "in transition" and were honoring warranties after sending the defective unit in and after they "investigated the cause of failure!" That was a line of company BS as far as I was concerned. Check auto did however have my info on file and they gave me a replacement AGM battery for about $20.00. I don't remember the brand name, but it's still running great. I did a little research at the time after my experience and found a bunch of unhappy campers. I hope they have worked everything out though. Again, my older Optimas in my Deuce still crank like new.