Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 15k too much for a 2003 Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
If you find a truck in good knick, but not running, steal it for $500 and use your money to drop in a Turner 4.6 long block or Toddco 5.0 liter long block. You'll have a more reliable truck with a brand new engine. A low mile original engine is not the most desirable. You want an engine with iron flanged liners, upgraded cams etc.

Or maybe Trailhead 4x4 could source a good one and drop in an ls1 for you. Then you fly to Ohio, and drive home to break it in.

both options are money better spent.
All wonderful ideas, until he gets it home to So Cal and can't register it because it won't pass a BAR inspection due to new, non-native engine. It's the single biggest pain living here: trying to pass an emissions test on a vehicle that has had an engine swap.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
All wonderful ideas, until he gets it home to So Cal and can't register it because it won't pass a BAR inspection due to new, non-native engine. It's the single biggest pain living here: trying to pass an emissions test on a vehicle that has had an engine swap.
This guy gets it!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

The Turner 4.6 is a factory replacement engine. Remanufactured to factory spec or a few internal upgrades available. The Todd Co 5.0 is also a factory replacement with larger displacement. Neither should have issues getting registered.

I'm afraid I'm on the opposite side of the state to that truck or I'd go check it out for you. Sorry, brother.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
The Turner 4.6 is a factory replacement engine. Remanufactured to factory spec or a few internal upgrades available. The Todd Co 5.0 is also a factory replacement with larger displacement. Neither should have issues getting registered.

I'm afraid I'm on the opposite side of the state to that truck or I'd go check it out for you. Sorry, brother.
I appreciate the offer anyways, sir.

I am going to go look at a 2002 in green today. 178k miles, hes asking 3k. I'd offer less, but we'll see if its any good first.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
I'm all for clean air, but that's bogus if true.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
I appreciate the offer anyways, sir.

I am going to go look at a 2002 in green today. 178k miles, hes asking 3k. I'd offer less, but we'll see if its any good first.
I'd rather spend $3k now, have it conk out in a few years, and buy another than sink 15k for the low mileage D2.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M

If a motor is not the original, OEM unit, with the ECU matching, and all of the original California emissions systems intact, the vehicle will fail a California emissions test. Vehicles manufactured before 2000 are given a visual inspection and a tail pipe "sniffer" test. Vehicles manufactured after 2000 are given a visual inspection and an OBDII test (DAD OIS test).

If the engine/ECU reports back that it isn't the original engine, then the vehicle has to be taken to a BAR referee:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html

When the first paragraph reads:

Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.
You know it's an uphill battle.

It's definitely doable, but it's not a simple process.

Welcome to Kalifornia.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 08-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Mudding

178k mile one was pretty rough, but honest. Loud engine tick turned me off.
Looked at another w/ 90k for $9000, and it was a piece. Hard leather ready to crack, faded paint, dents, cracked bumper, etc.

The search continues...

Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
The search continues...
Take your time. A good reasonably priced one will appear when you least expect it. Using CarFax or AutoCheck to verify sellers BS, vehicle history and states previously registered is a good investment.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Take your time. A good reasonably priced one will appear when you least expect it. Using CarFax or AutoCheck to verify sellers BS, vehicle history and states previously registered is a good investment.
Very true. And as someone who lives on the east coast but reads LR forums daily, I feel as though I see so many good trucks for sale through forums that are located in CA. A great one will pop up sooner or later and you are ready to grab it with cash in hand. Rushing to buy something will only lead to headaches. And those headaches will be compounded by you seeing multiple good examples being offered while you are dealing with issues that could have been avoided with patience.

Quick Reply: Is 15k too much for a 2003 Disco II?