Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 15k too much for a 2003 Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Im all over Craigslist, this forum, ebay, and cargurus. Where else should i be looking?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Im all over Craigslist, this forum, ebay, and cargurus. Where else should i be looking?
I would deifnitely check Discoweb too. There have been some real nice D2's sold there in the past year or so. I've heard there have been D2's hitting bring a trailer recently. I always thought that was more D90 and Series trucks, but worth checking.

Do you use one of the sites that check CL nationally? Or in broad areas so you don't have to continuously search surrounding areas?

Are you totally set on a D2 and not a D1? There was an awesome D1 offered recently in FL. IIRC you said you probably wouldn't be wheeling it, so maybe you do just want the D2. But the D1 is more similar to the defender re: drivetrain and has a thicker frame (doesn't rust as easily). Good ones seem to be starting to appreciate recently.

Edit: here is that D1

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...eady-FL-12-500

Last edited by akrover90; 08-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
If a motor is not the original, OEM unit, with the ECU matching, and all of the original California emissions systems intact, the vehicle will fail a California emissions test. Vehicles manufactured before 2000 are given a visual inspection and a tail pipe "sniffer" test. Vehicles manufactured after 2000 are given a visual inspection and an OBDII test (DAD OIS test).

If the engine/ECU reports back that it isn't the original engine, then the vehicle has to be taken to a BAR referee:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html

When the first paragraph reads:

You know it's an uphill battle.

It's definitely doable, but it's not a simple process.

Welcome to Kalifornia.
I've heard of the complications. Its pretty insane. That said, the reman 4.6 will still pass that bill. There is no ECU change, sensor change, anything. You can even get it with stock cam if you want.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by akrover90
I would deifnitely check Discoweb too. There have been some real nice D2's sold there in the past year or so. I've heard there have been D2's hitting bring a trailer recently. I always thought that was more D90 and Series trucks, but worth checking.

Do you use one of the sites that check CL nationally? Or in broad areas so you don't have to continuously search surrounding areas?

Are you totally set on a D2 and not a D1? There was an awesome D1 offered recently in FL. IIRC you said you probably wouldn't be wheeling it, so maybe you do just want the D2. But the D1 is more similar to the defender re: drivetrain and has a thicker frame (doesn't rust as easily). Good ones seem to be starting to appreciate recently.
I am VERY set on a D2. I can't explain why, but the bug has bitten me.

I looked at LR3s and I could go grab a new LR4 if I wanted, but they just dont do it for me.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE | eBay

Still overpriced but closer to sanity than the one you were looking at. Appears to be clean and rust free, if you could negotiate the price down it might be worth a look.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenso
2003 Land Rover Discovery SE | eBay

Still overpriced but closer to sanity than the one you were looking at. Appears to be clean and rust free, if you could negotiate the price down it might be worth a look.
Nice looking D2 but still 'tres cher'!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
I am VERY set on a D2. I can't explain why, but the bug has bitten me.

I looked at LR3s and I could go grab a new LR4 if I wanted, but they just dont do it for me.
Oh, I totally agree. My sister has an LR4 and while I enjoy driving it, it just isn't the same to me. But, I would get a D1 in a second. That one I posted above scratches me in all the right places.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per our PMs, saw this one on FB. Looks relatively clean. I'd go look at it with $5,000 cash. I can get the dude's contact info if you want.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, whatever. Here goes.

Are you interested in black on black? I've got a 2004 SE Trail edition with 115k near Denver I'd sell to you. It's not totally pristine but great overall. I'd need $5000 for it as I live in the foothills of the Rockies (Boulder) and all good 4x4s command a premium here.

Here's what I've done to it: new coolant and t/stat, both upstream O2 sensors, replaced front driveshaft with HD Spicer build, Range Rover P38 Mondial rims with Cooper AT3 50% tread and brand new spare, new emissions purge valve, all routine synthetic oil changes, new headlight bulbs, new front brakes in May and rear brakes are delivered just waiting for install, everything is bone stock stereo included. No water leaks anywhere. Headliner saggy but semi-repaired.

Trail edition means factory rear coils, no ACE, and some exterior trimmings such as brush guard + auxillary fogs, rear tail light guards and the must-have ladder. That stuff is currently uninstalled pending paint job but obviously included. 90% of people will agree that those deleted options will save you $$ and head/heartache later on. It has a cool looking badge on it too.

I'm the second owner. It was purchased new in PA but moved to OK shortly after and spent most of its life there until I purchased it from the original owner while she was moving her daughter to Denver. They were a wealthy family and it was all dealer serviced its entire life. I've done most of the above DIY but know the local indy LR service tech and he knows this truck well, he tried to buy it off me once. There is absolutely no rust or corrosion, no paint fade etc. It needs a good buff as I drive this thing how it was built to be driven and it's got some scratches from twigs and branches.

Head gaskets are not yet done but I've never had a leaking coolant or threats of overheating. It has the electric aux fan in front of the radiator and I've only notice it go on in extreme circumstance such as sitting in traffic and running the AC or on long climbs into the mountains.

Here's the work it currently needs: there is a slight oil leak off the back of the block, plenum gasket seems to be the culprit. My tech friend Trevor diagnosed this but his boss wants to charge me $900 for something I could do myself in two+ hours. There is also a slight exhaust tick on startup from the driver's side exhaust header. It goes away once the pipes are hot. I'm positive this tick is not from inside the engine. And as I said the new rear brakes need to be installed.

If you're mechanically inclined this vehicle could be back to 100% after one day in the garage and maybe $200-300 in parts.

I know this is by no means a "great deal!!!" but I just wanted to offer. Do I want to sell this truck? Nope. But I work in the OE/aftermarket Jeep industry now and just bought a '13 Rubicon. The ONLY way I'll let go of my Disco is to see it go to an enthusiast owner who will continue to give it the life it deserves. I plan to complete the above stated work and continually improve it otherwise.

Just thought I'd share.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brolome
Oh, whatever. Here goes.

Are you interested in black on black? I've got a 2004 SE Trail edition with 115k near Denver I'd sell to you. It's not totally pristine but great overall. I'd need $5000 for it as I live in the foothills of the Rockies (Boulder) and all good 4x4s command a premium here.

Here's what I've done to it: new coolant and t/stat, both upstream O2 sensors, replaced front driveshaft with HD Spicer build, Range Rover P38 Mondial rims with Cooper AT3 50% tread and brand new spare, new emissions purge valve, all routine synthetic oil changes, new headlight bulbs, new front brakes in May and rear brakes are delivered just waiting for install, everything is bone stock stereo included. No water leaks anywhere. Headliner saggy but semi-repaired.

Trail edition means factory rear coils, no ACE, and some exterior trimmings such as brush guard + auxillary fogs, rear tail light guards and the must-have ladder. That stuff is currently uninstalled pending paint job but obviously included. 90% of people will agree that those deleted options will save you $$ and head/heartache later on. It has a cool looking badge on it too.

I'm the second owner. It was purchased new in PA but moved to OK shortly after and spent most of its life there until I purchased it from the original owner while she was moving her daughter to Denver. They were a wealthy family and it was all dealer serviced its entire life. I've done most of the above DIY but know the local indy LR service tech and he knows this truck well, he tried to buy it off me once. There is absolutely no rust or corrosion, no paint fade etc. It needs a good buff as I drive this thing how it was built to be driven and it's got some scratches from twigs and branches.

Head gaskets are not yet done but I've never had a leaking coolant or threats of overheating. It has the electric aux fan in front of the radiator and I've only notice it go on in extreme circumstance such as sitting in traffic and running the AC or on long climbs into the mountains.

Here's the work it currently needs: there is a slight oil leak off the back of the block, plenum gasket seems to be the culprit. My tech friend Trevor diagnosed this but his boss wants to charge me $900 for something I could do myself in two+ hours. There is also a slight exhaust tick on startup from the driver's side exhaust header. It goes away once the pipes are hot. I'm positive this tick is not from inside the engine. And as I said the new rear brakes need to be installed.

If you're mechanically inclined this vehicle could be back to 100% after one day in the garage and maybe $200-300 in parts.

I know this is by no means a "great deal!!!" but I just wanted to offer. Do I want to sell this truck? Nope. But I work in the OE/aftermarket Jeep industry now and just bought a '13 Rubicon. The ONLY way I'll let go of my Disco is to see it go to an enthusiast owner who will continue to give it the life it deserves. I plan to complete the above stated work and continually improve it otherwise.

Just thought I'd share.
Keep thinking of other stuff. It's got the D1 wiper blade conversion with new top-end Bosch wipers. It's got a high performance K&N filter in the stock intake box. It's never had the three amigos. The interior is in really good shape with no missing trim or worn leather etc. The tires are a little oversized at 265/65/18. Some rub on full lock but not concerning (to me). Subwoofers are in good condition I just looked when I flipped the tire mount to accommodate the oversized tire. Have all the factory books, manuals, tools.

Quick Reply: Is 15k too much for a 2003 Disco II?