Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180F Thermostat Y/N

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Go with the genuine Land Rover version, the one with the "G" at the end of the part number, i.e., PEL500110G
FYI, that is not true. If you go to the dealer, you will not find a G at the end of any of their part #s.

Most of the aftermarket suppliers from England have several varieties of parts, ranging from good, better and Genuine. Their normal line is just the plain part number and the upgraded but not genuine version normally has a G at the end to signify the difference.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Not sure if it's on their site, but search without the G because that's not the right number.
Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
FYI, that is not true. If you go to the dealer, you will not find a G at the end of any of their part #s.

Most of the aftermarket suppliers from England have several varieties of parts, ranging from good, better and Genuine. Their normal line is just the plain part number and the upgraded but not genuine version normally has a G at the end to signify the difference.
Is there an echo in here...?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by floundering
Your MPG's will likely drop as the engine won't be operating at it's happy temps. But that small difference in mileage is more than made up in the benefit of having that engine run cooler.
I'm currently averaging 15.6 mpg running non-ethanol 93 octane and a 180 degree thermo. I drive some highway, some local. Last year I was getting similar mileage running 10% ethanol 93 and a 180* thermo. I switched to 87 over the winter and it dropped to ~13.5.

Originally Posted by jamestfl
the only times I've heard people caution about t-stat's are the guys who have done the inline by-pass, but not about the 180 specifically. I'm in South Florida and run a 180. Hwy temps in the 180's, around town in the 190's, highest I've seen is 210 idling, after driving, on a 90+ degree day.
That's why I like the inline mod - I've never even broken 200 even when in traffic at 100* ambient temps.

But any 180* thermo is certainly better the stock temp.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I'm currently averaging 15.6 mpg running non-ethanol 93 octane and a 180 degree thermo. I drive some highway, some local. Last year I was getting similar mileage running 10% ethanol 93 and a 180* thermo. I switched to 87 over the winter and it dropped to ~13.5.

That's why I like the inline mod - I've never even broken 200 even when in traffic at 100* ambient temps.

But any 180* thermo is certainly better the stock temp.

180* is definitely better for the engine's longevity. But it does effect the economy. Colder engine temps increase friction. 2 months ago I changed plugs and wires and my MPG's (I have to use Ron Burgundy's voice every time) were at 15.5 after a month of driving. I then installed the 180 thermo and a month of that I'm at 14.6 average. So it does have an effect. I use 93 octane and fill up at the same station. Stations where I live should be back to summer blend fuel so I may see an increase again, but I don't know.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoses & 180F Thermostat have been ordered... thank you Lucky8. And thanks everyone for taking the time to reply; appreciate all the feedback.

To clarify, I ordered the PEL500110 Thermostat (Genuine 180F model that is GREY in color). Some suppliers put a "G" at the end of the part number, some do not. Same thing for the hoses. A quick phone call before ordering will clear things up and ensure you are ordering a Genuine part (if that is what you are looking for).

Last edited by overover02; 05-09-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added Thermostat model ordered.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm no expert but I can't imagine how the coolant being 10 to 15 degrees cooler would change the temperature of the fire in the combustion chamber in any significant way.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the 180* from RoversNorth. The drive back from the shop was the coolest I've ever seen, 185 on average with a high of 193 sitting in traffic... Really regretting not doing this sooner!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes it is worth the investment. I held it off for maybe a year? My average temps where between 197 and 215! Had the engine tick during idling etc. So you can imagine my excitement when I installed the 180 TDI thermostat and my average temps dropped to a new average of between 188-197 and I have NOT heard my engine tick since! I think the 180 cost around $70? Cant remember but if it helps lower your engine temps and potentially prolongs the life of a alreadly flawed engine then why the hell not get the stat? I ordered the Motorad thermostat half a year ago from DAP, and for less then the price of the 180 TDI, but after reading alot of reviews on this forum I decided NOT to use it. Still have it new in box. Ive never read anything bad about the 180 TDI stat so it just made sense to give it a try and I dont regret it.

No matter what you chose, just get that old thermostat replaced before things get worse with your truck. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII

Correct... a LR dealer would only see "PEL500110".

However, the OP referenced the BPUtah webpage in his first post. The BPUtah webpage makes a distinction between PEL500110G (OEM version) and PEL500110 (Motorad version). There has been previous posts about the Motorad version failing prematurely. I believe most folks buy their thermostats from third-party aftermarket sources. Hence, I'd thought it would be important to mention the difference between the two options on the BPUtah website:
Land Rover Discovery 180F Thermostat PEL500110

Atlantic British also places a "G" designation for a genuine part:
Thermostat Discovery II (Genuine Part # PEM100990 ) - Land Rover cooling/heating from Atlantic British

The "i" (info) hoover link on the AB web-page says:
"On genuine part numbers, we typically show a G suffix at the end".

---------

Reference posts on PEL500110 Motorad failures:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ll-fail-49787/
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...-change-58746/

Last edited by acg; 05-09-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I'm no expert but I can't imagine how the coolant being 10 to 15 degrees cooler would change the temperature of the fire in the combustion chamber in any significant way.

Nor am I... Colder engine temps result in a richer mixture=more fuel. Most, not all, auto manufacturers use the higher temp stat for emissions. Subaru for example uses a lower 180*(I think it's 180).

If you've ever watched your instant mpg's on a cold winter day when the engine takes longer to warm up, mpg's will be well below average til the engine reaches temp. More fuel used on warmup during cold days. So in theory (I hate that word), cooler engine temp could reduce the mpg's. My drop in mpg's may be totally coincidental, but I think it's the cooler running stat.

Quick Reply: 180F Thermostat Y/N