Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180F Thermostat Y/N

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by floundering
Nor am I... Colder engine temps result in a richer mixture=more fuel. Most, not all, auto manufacturers use the higher temp stat for emissions. Subaru for example uses a lower 180*(I think it's 180).

If you've ever watched your instant mpg's on a cold winter day when the engine takes longer to warm up, mpg's will be well below average til the engine reaches temp. More fuel used on warmup during cold days. So in theory (I hate that word), cooler engine temp could reduce the mpg's. My drop in mpg's may be totally coincidental, but I think it's the cooler running stat.
I'd rather sacrifice a couple bucks extra for gas then a couple thousand on a replacement engine because mine overheated and died..... its an interesting theory but with these engines as flawed as they are, its best to keep the temps cooler than hoter.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Nor am I... Colder engine temps result in a richer mixture=more fuel. Most, not all, auto manufacturers use the higher temp stat for emissions. Subaru for example uses a lower 180*(I think it's 180).

If you've ever watched your instant mpg's on a cold winter day when the engine takes longer to warm up, mpg's will be well below average til the engine reaches temp. More fuel used on warmup during cold days. So in theory (I hate that word), cooler engine temp could reduce the mpg's. My drop in mpg's may be totally coincidental, but I think it's the cooler running stat.
I see your point but have to respectfully disagree. This may be true if the auto engine manufacture chose to implement an electronic controlled mapped cooling system where the Tstat adjusts based on engine load, specific parameters coded in the ECU, and critical temperature values fedback by temp sensors in/on the engine block and outlet of the radiator lower coolant hose. Not to mention the importance of the MAF and 02 sensors. The electronic t-stat is constantly opening and closing based on specific values computed by the ECU to consistently maintain maximum engine efficiency.

Our Land Rover engines, (Bosch controls, I think), run a mechanically controlled t-stat and electric cooling fans. The T-stat opens mechanically at a set temperature, if necessary fan comes on at a predefined set temperature; not that efficient. The MAF and 02 sensors supply critical data to the ECU in return controlling injector pulse to protect against lean/rich conditions.

At least that's my understanding. That said, I run a 180 Genuine LR T-Stat and couldn't more happier.

Last edited by coors; 05-09-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that it matters much, but no mention about grade of motor oil. Yea, this topic of motor oil and thickness has been beaten to death, but worth mentioning. I believe the MO is the Ying to the t-stat's Yang. Running the engine at cooler temps is great, but with potential increase of friction, I just want to make sure that the insides are as happy as a tick stuck on a fat dog.

I run RP 20-50 from late spring to early fall, then go with T6 for the 6 months of winter here in Bah-ston. Did the t-stat change over late summer last year and also got rid of the orange goo and went to green goo. Worth mentioning about both, in the event the original poster to this thread has not thought about his oil or the rad fluid.

Got my t-stat from Rover's North. Muchas gracias ZG Photo.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I'd rather sacrifice a couple bucks extra for gas then a couple thousand on a replacement engine because mine overheated and died..... its an interesting theory but with these engines as flawed as they are, its best to keep the temps cooler than hoter.

I agree 100% with you! I was just trying to answer OP's question about good/bad of installing the 180. Did you sell your ride yet?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by gbob
Not that it matters much, but no mention about grade of motor oil. Yea, this topic of motor oil and thickness has been beaten to death, but worth mentioning. I believe the MO is the Ying to the t-stat's Yang. Running the engine at cooler temps is great, but with potential increase of friction, I just want to make sure that the insides are as happy as a tick stuck on a fat dog.

I run RP 20-50 from late spring to early fall, then go with T6 for the 6 months of winter here in Bah-ston. Did the t-stat change over late summer last year and also got rid of the orange goo and went to green goo. Worth mentioning about both, in the event the original poster to this thread has not thought about his oil or the rad fluid.

Got my t-stat from Rover's North. Muchas gracias ZG Photo.

Correct on the engine temp and oil viscosity. Another important factor!

Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree 100% with you! I was just trying to answer OP's question about good/bad of installing the 180. Did you sell your ride yet?

That war is on another thread.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
TReK

No I have not sold my truck, may not have to but to early to say. Back to the topic at hand, it feels like my trucks a bit better ever since I replaced my thermostat with the 180 from Rovers North. Hard to believe that one simple part can do so much or make a noticeable difference in the performance of your vehicle. Just wish I did the switch much much sooner.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by coors
I see your point but have to respectfully disagree. This may be true if the auto engine manufacture chose to implement an electronic controlled mapped cooling system where the Tstat adjusts based on engine load, specific parameters coded in the ECU, and critical temperature values fedback by temp sensors in/on the engine block and outlet of the radiator lower coolant hose. Not to mention the importance of the MAF and 02 sensors. The electronic t-stat is constantly opening and closing based on specific values computed by the ECU to consistently maintain maximum engine efficiency.

Our Land Rover engines, (Bosch controls, I think), run a mechanically controlled t-stat and electric cooling fans. The T-stat opens mechanically at a set temperature, if necessary fan comes on at a predefined set temperature; not that efficient. The MAF and 02 sensors supply critical data to the ECU in return controlling injector pulse to protect against lean/rich conditions.

At least that's my understanding. That said, I run a 180 Genuine LR T-Stat and couldn't more happier.

I will not switch back to factory stat. I like that I don't worry anymore about higher temps. Our ECU does monitor temps to dispense fuel. Intake manifold temp, which is regulated by the coolant system, plays a key role. Colder the temp of the intake, the more fuel has to be used--running rich. I'm kind of a young guy so I really don't remember the hot rod days but those guys would drill holes (or remove them) in their stats to run the engine cooler which gave them more HP but it burned through more fuel. Stock 192 or higher stats or used for emission purposes.

I totally agree about it being better for the engine. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I've never had to work on any vehicle so much in my entire life...

Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
TReK

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I've never had to work on any vehicle so much in my entire life...

and that is the great thing about owning a classic land rover.... you become a professional mechanic!