Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 V8 Will Not Start After new Rotor Arm Fitted - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 V8 Will Not Start After new Rotor Arm Fitted - Please Help

Hello.
My 1994 Discovery 3.9 V8i Auto started running lumpy on tickover a few weeks ago. It always started and didnt really run too badly. Today I had a look at the dizzy cap and rotor arm and they looked a bit worn, so I bought and fitted new ones, and now the engine turns over but shows no signs of firing.

When I took the rotor arm off, the mechanism below seemed to lift and rotated round but it seemed to only go fully down again in one position - is this normal? Hope I haven't put the timing out!

Secondly can anyone tell me the correct lead order on the dizzy cap just to make sure I have got everything in the correct order. I tried fitting the old parts and it wouldnt start either. Please help!! Many thanks, Matt.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 1994 V8 Will Not Start After new Rotor Arm Fitted - Please Help

You will need to get your dist. into a shop and have them rebuild it, Any time you pull the rotor off a old Rover dist. you have to be careful not to pull the lower plate up.
Mike

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 AM
3rd Gear

Oh great, and I thought a 2 min job would make it run better rather than knacker it. Ive just been and looked at it again, the rotor shaft will pull up and then move almost half a turn, but will only fully retract in the position it came from. Also the rotor arm seems to spin normally when the engine is cranked. Do you know if it is spinning ok, because I need to mark its position when the engine is at TDC so it all goes back right don't I? (sorry I haven't done this before) According to the Haynes I have to drain the cooling system too. Nothing is simple! There really should be a warning on the distributor. Many thanks for your help.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have never had the experience, but have heard alot about it. Won't be much help on telling you what to do, sorry.
Mike

Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: MattV8i

Oh great, and I thought a 2 min job would make it run better rather than knacker it. Ive just been and looked at it again, the rotor shaft will pull up and then move almost half a turn, but will only fully retract in the position it came from. Also the rotor arm seems to spin normally when the engine is cranked. Do you know if it is spinning ok, because I need to mark its position when the engine is at TDC so it all goes back right don't I? (sorry I haven't done this before) According to the Haynes I have to drain the cooling system too. Nothing is simple! There really should be a warning on the distributor. Many thanks for your help.
Actually mine had a faded but legible warning on the hood. In 2 inch letters, it said Land Rover right on it....

I love my truck, but as I have found, it is like nothing else out there in some things. I have learned to read up, get on here, and be gentle every time I venture into new territory.

Good Luck with your fix..

Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

I should have taken notice of that warning message before I popped the bonnet!
The landy is immobile at the moment, Distributor is in the Kitchen. I have reattached the weights and springs, and just need to find a new circlip of the right size as i managed to stretch the current one. Will let you know if the landy ever starts again!!