Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 D2, radio, sig lighter, and blower motor are dead.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1999 D2, radio, sig lighter, and blower motor are dead.

Replaced the brake lines a few weeks ago going from the soft lines at the driver wheel well all the way back. Then bleed the brake lines by pulling the ABS relay and just shorted the terminals to manually activate the abs pump. Brakes feel decent, but also noticed the radio and the blower for heat was out and cig lighter is dead. So maybe it's coincidence or doing the abs relay bleeding thing killed something? Idk. Radio and other fuses all looked good. Looking for more thoughts?

Old 02-15-2023, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling

So did some more reading and looks like there I a relay for the blower on or near the blower on the passenger side area?

Also that maybe there is a fuse behind the radio as well? Gonna try and use a test light or multi meter and test all the fuses under the driver side and see if anything is out under there.

Sins owning this truck the radios display has showed everything the display can show. So the radio or display has been mest up sins iv had it.

Just wonder how many fuses or relays control the blower/radio/sig lighter?

Also the CD changer under the passenger seat will first work when the ignition is on if that means anything more then that part of the radio is receiving power.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

So with the multi meter I got 12v on almost everything except the fuses for the lights. Which is because they are not on. Radio fuse has power but fuse 33 is dead. Fuse checked out good., also the fuse box under the hood f7 and f8 show no power. So are those two part of the climate controls?

Old 02-17-2023, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Pulled the radio and found the fuse on the back of the radio, it's good as well.

Gonna try and pull the blower motor tomorrow or Sunday.

Any ideas/ help would be great?

Is there a possibility the fuse pannel under the dash may need to be pulled to get fixed? Again the radio fuse has power. I guess I can turn the ignition on and test for 12v behind the radio/ probably should be a large red and black wire?

Old 02-18-2023, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

This has to be done following the schematic diagram; those non-working items are powered by one or more +12V path lines, fuses, relays. A volt meter or better, a light probe to follow where is 12V interrupted. Start probing fuses in the engine compartment. If remember well, a rearmost relay in the box is related to the lighter that works with key-on, but not the radio. I modified mine to have permanent +12V at the lighter socket, but did not affect the radio.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Well got the blower motor working, pulled it from the dash and tested the plug with a multi meter and turned on the ignition and played around with the fan speed, only on the last highest setting did I hear a relay click and the voltage got a little higher. The pushed the fan speed button again to go back to the lowest fan speed. Then took the blower motor to a 12v battery directly and it spun great. So only thing I noticed was some junk stuck in the fan blades and I guess that James it up. So I have heat again. The important part works. Lol. Still have a dead radio and sig lighter. I do have power at fuse 33 so maybe I did something wrong when I tested it first? Idk now. I did replace the broken driver lights that go in each head lamp as they were broken and the plug on the passenger side was pretty corroded.

So pulled the radio loos from the dash, what wire colors am I looking for for constant/ switched power / ground? At the top I have three plugs blue/green/yellow. Then below that seems to be another big plug that's kinda a mustard color, and below that looks to be grayish. I do have the mid speaker in the front doors and the cd changer under the front passenger seat and I guess that's the amp under the driver seat?

Also, any ideas for the sig lighter? when it was working i did kinda have to twist and play around with it at times to make a cell phone charger work. It's almost as if maybe the wire fell off behind the sig lighter. Easy to pup off or does the entire dash need to come off?

Old 02-27-2023, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

if you read the RAVE wiring diagram, you will see that the fan operates on high speed on a distinct circuit which is separate from the fan resistor (and uses a separate relay that you heard click, mounted up to the side of fan housing). the resistor controls the lower speeds. Check the resistor circuit for burned out wire and it may relate to your other issues.....

Old 02-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I do have all fan speeds again, but ill look around at all the wiring that goes around the blower motor. Is it fairly easy to pull the fan controller unit? As there are some lights out as well on the fan controller when I turn on the lights for night use.