Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Disco, runs rough....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Disco, runs rough....?

Hi all, Well after many years of wanting either a RR (since a kid in the UK) or a Disco I finally bought one as a "cheap" ($2600)2nd vehicle. I got tired of buying Ford Exploders (Explorer) for this purpose and the Disco has so much more character. Anyway I bought a 95 Disco 1, the main reason I got a Disco over a RR is because RR's with a manual trans in the USA are VERY few and far between and I hate auto trans. So yes it's a 5spd. andvery clean just needs some "minor" work here and there. I've owned it about a month now.

So to my point....It has an exhaust leak, sounds like it's coming from around the passenger side cyl bank manifold? My question is will it likely be a cracked manifold or just a gasket?How likely is itthe bolts holding the manifold on snap off, be seized in the alum head or strip the threads when I try toremove them? Also it seems to run a bit rough? Is this normal? When starting from cold it takes acouple ofseconds for the oil light to go out. Is this normal or should I be worried about the oil pump or oil pressure?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 1st Disco, runs rough....?

The manifolds are notorious for cracking. Mine have been replaced on my 97, and the left one is cracked again. As far as I know, a little penetrating oil, and the bolts come out fine. Just remember you need two gaskets for manifold to block.

You might want to change the plugsand wires. Mine was really rough when I got it, and now it is as smooth as a baby's butt. Don't know where you are on your oil change, but I think a flush to start would be good. Just drain your oil, add 6 quarts of ATF and let it idle for about 20 min. Drain, change the filter and replace the oil. If the light problem continues, have your pressure checked, or use a mechanical gauge. A faulty oil pump is not uncommon. You should check the pressure soon, though. Doesn't sound good.

Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the reply okdiscoguy. I'll have to just go through it and do the normal maintenance things like oil changes and plugs/wires etc when I get some time.I only got it at the end of Jan and I've been travelling 3½ weeks out of Feb and one week in March already. Luckily it's a 2nd car so I don't have to drive it.Only done about 250 miles in it so far. I'll flush the oil when I change it now. Can I get after market headers somewhere that don't crack? I see you're in OK, have you ever been to Rover Cannibal in OKC? I was thinking of driving up there and taking a look around? Is it worth my time? I'm in Dallas.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can buy headers, I think Headman headers makes a set. You can also go buy a used exhaust manifold at
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....TS&Category=79.
For as old as it is, you ought to change out the O2's at the same time and regain a little lost power.
Mike

Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Sure its a manifold gasket? My leak was the right side down pipe gasket.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace both manifold to exhaust pipe gaskets.