Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 CDL options available.. which do I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 CDL options available.. which do I choose?

Hi guys. I'm ready to finally get my CDL connected so I can do some serious wheeling this winter, and I've identified 2 separate options that I want to get some feedback on.

1. 04' junkyard pull linkage kit w/ base plate
LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2004 CDL CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK SHIFTER ASSEMBLY | eBay

2. Polish knockoff Ashcroft-style linkage
Land Rover Discovery 2 II CDL HD - Center Differential Lock Shifter | eBay

I figured the junkyard pull part will be the safest bet because it's genuine LR and there's less chance of any weird surprises. However, I'm intrigued by the cheap price on the Polish kit.

Looking forward to hearing what people think. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

You should really go with the genuine one. I've heard about some not so smooth shifting with the Polish made one...

Also, seems the polish one only locks the t case but does not engage hi/lo.

Last edited by abran; 11-07-2016 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Disco Stu AZ (11-15-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I JUST installed mine this past weekend.

I woud go with a 2004 with the base plate. Its a for sure fit, and doesnt need any modifying at all. I have a 2001 and everything went fairly smoothly. Drilling the rivits and replacing were a bit tricky towards the dash and steering wheel. I have a larger riviter and the space was tight, but was able to get them in no problem.

If you find a 04 gab the ABS Module as well. Its plug and play, and has updated software so diff lock works with TC/ABS/HD with out three amigos.

The only issue i had is this: The shifter from the '04 had a nutural safety switch on the shift assembly and so did my transfer case. But only one plug, so it would not move unless one silinoid was removed. - easy fix - i removed the one from the shifter assembly and left everything else hooked up as it was. i still cannot shift hi-low iunless truck is in nutural, but diff lock can be ingaged any time. so make sure you dont engage diff lock at 75mph on the highway lol. other than that it went smooth.

Cant wait to get out and test it.

I have read many posts where the aftermarket linkage works well or the d1 modified linkage, but ive also read people that had problems. plus, no modification to the 04 part. The one for sure bet is going with one out of a 04 in my opion.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Overlanding

Also You could probally find it way cheaper if you can find an 04 in the junk yard. The origional is much stronger looking and thicker compared to the polish one.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Drifting

All great info, thanks guys.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed an 04 shifter in my 2001 last January. Took about 3 hours. Now I'm looking for a SLABS unit from a 03-04. If you get an upgraded SLABS make sure it's comes from the same equipped (SLS or non-SLS) donor vehicle as yours. That way you won't have to have it reprogrammed.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-15-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I installed an 04 shifter in my 2001 last January. Took about 3 hours. Now I'm looking for a SLABS unit from a 03-04. If you get an upgraded SLABS make sure it's comes from the same equipped (SLS or non-SLS) donor vehicle as yours. That way you won't have to have it reprogrammed.
Hi Big Jim
Can you clarify the SLS/NonSLS
Thanks

Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

SLS = Self-Levelling Suspension. Basically, air shocks (SLS) or coil shocks (non-SLS).

Old 11-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Drifting

A good friend of mine donated the use of his garage and his assistance on Saturday, and the CDL install went smoothly. I tested it out and the red locked-diff light came on for the 1st time in 16 years! Also, I want to thank Abran for providing the 04' CDL kit in excellent condition and shipped expediently.

I was debating whether or not to keep the neutral safety switch until I took out my old factory shifter and realized the last owner had already deleted the solenoid.. Well, that made that decision easier. One less thing to potentially fail later.

My question is with the SLABS ECU and the ABS/TC programming. I see from a popular article that I can simply cut a wire on the ECU and not have to worry about ever losing TC because of turning on the vehicle with the diff locked, but it also appears that if I keep the wire intact I can have the ability to operate with or without TC and diff loc depending on how I turn on the vehicle.

Here's the article: www.discovery2.co.uk/Factory Diff Lock

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to hijack, but was there an extra sensor that you plugged in that makes the light come on? I put an 01 transfer case and a 95 shifter in mine and don't get the light. It's definitely working though

Quick Reply: 2 CDL options available.. which do I choose?