Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" lift + ACE = spooky handling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" lift + ACE = spooky handling?

I just completed the install of a Britpart 2" lift from Paddock. I wish they had mentioned the need for longer brake lines along with the kit. And the front crossmember, which needed mount point modifications to lower it so as to not contact the front driveshaft at full droop. But then, I could have found these issues myself with a bit more research before purchasing. The Britpart lift went in fine otherwise and the shocks work well for now on the roads around here.

But the vehicle handling is a bit twitchy now with the lift and ACE. Driving a twisty road today in the rain and wind, the back end feels like it wants to come around and meet the front. Before the lift, I had only felt that feeling once before, coming off a roadside berm at about 45mph. The vehicle does not feel as secure now

Has anybody else BTDT (been there done that) and found a solution? I thought of adding Paddock rear wheel spacers in the back to widen the rear track a few inches. Keeping a bit more air in the rear tires should help with stability too ... except in the rain.

Any advice or experience is most welcome!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines alil hairy feeling with a 3" and 285/75's but i think it has to do with the castor angle in the steering. they sell castor correcting radius arms for DI's for different lifts, not sure about the DII... its most pronounced at higher speeds as the car seems to drift left and right, or the rear spin out on corners, or the steering not returning to center automatically as much (requireing 2x the steering inputs to make east turns at speed) and driving over 40mph keeping a stright line can be difficult, especially on rough roads, the smallest of bumps sends the car jumping left or right, you feel/look drunk to the other drivers haha

Last edited by grandkodiak; 01-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I ran a 3" lift for years with ACE and SLS with no issues at all.
I don't know anything about the springs you installed, did you also install shocks, if so who's?
As for the SLS, there are a few companies that make a 2" spacer to mount under the bags and include height adjusters to balance out the height to the front suspension.
Go look on the RTE site to find the necessary spacer.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Drifting

Hi Mike,

I just have ACE, no SLS so need no bag spacers. The 2" longer shocks included with the Britpart lift are their house brand. I usually buy name brand shocks, but the whole kit was only about $400 so I figured if the shocks don't work well I can replace them later. As far as absorbing shocks, so far they seem fine.

I was thinking of you when I first posted because I remember that you are running this config too. What size are your tires?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator

I miss read your thread, thought your had SLS also, sorry.
When did you last service your ACE?
Can you better describe what your truck feels like now since you installed the suspension.
I am not familiar with the lift you installed but at $400 it is probably not a very firm set up, I paid $400 just for my shocks. If this is too weak a system it will not control the top heavyness of a Disco.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 3" lift with SLS and ACE. It does change the feel of the truck. Mine is a little squirrelly since the install. The issue is the caster angle of the radius arms. They sell caster corrected arms, but they are about 500 bucks. I was able to find some caster correcting bushes for a DII, but i havent tried them. I guess i just ended up dealing with it. My wife hates it though.

TDC Automotive Online Store | SuperPro Radius Arm To Diff Mount Caster Correction Kit

Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Yes that can happen, but usually you won't see it with a 2" lift. I had that sort of wandering feeling out on the road and installed a T.T locker and it went away cause T.T.'s always hold top the center.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Wandering is not part of the problem. Tracking is straight and true. The problem arises when you are hustling somewhat quickly along on curvy roads. When you first turn into a corner, the back end feels like it's going to step out and oversteer. Anybody who has driven a Range Classic knows that feeling. You turn into the corner, then the rear follows a bit. It's unsettling at first, but you get used to it. I am already getting used to it, turning into corners more gently. But if I should have to make an emergency swerve some day, I worry that the rear will step out on me.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do these things have rear antiroll/sway bars? maybe the bushings are shot or the bars bent