Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

(new) handling problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (new) handling problems??

So, I'm moving the '95 from storage to shop for the purpose of a complete CV axle replacement job (one side is busted,but I decided I'll replace them both), when I noticed a strange vibration (front driveshaft maybe?) between 20 to 40mph, after about couple of miles of driving just fine down the road (well, except me babying it through turns at 5mph, because of the one side busted CV axle).
Also, when this vibration happens, the truck feels like it's floating somehow (really,it feels like you're in a boat!), and with a very light feeling in the steering , and hard like heck to keep it on the straight after running over even the smallest pothole in the road. I actually had to make steering corrections all the time while driving to the shop!
One other thing: after reaching my destination,I also noticed a burnt rubber kinda smell (tire?).
Didn't have the time at that moment to crawl underneath for a visual inspection, it's on my todo list for today. I was just wondering if this is part of same problem with the CV axle, or is something new. I could not swear for it, because I drove the truck only today for about 5 mi, and today was the first time this moment happened, but I think the drama started after stopping at a traffic light and hearing a clanking noise coming from the underneath... somewhere.
I'll come back with pics and such to document the findings, but meanwhile I was wondering if someone knows what's up with this from the top of their head? Shall I plan for total front end restoration project?

Much appreciated!

Last edited by CT fan; 03-01-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Overlanding

I'll say the problem is directly related to the bad CV axle (during lotdrive testing, when put in D, barely moves fwd anymore without pushing the accelerator pedal)..
and of course, those awful, hair-rising,metal-grinding-on-metal noises....

Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes. I would definitely be certain that when you do get it all apart and pull out that busted CV and the axle shaft along with it, do a really good inspection of the inside of the swivel ball. If you've got all that grinding and everything going on, and if it's affecting your steering, there could be some nastiness going on inside there with broken metal pieces, etc. I would just want to make sure there aren't any big gouges in the ball interior, or any large burrs that will continue to make noise with the new CV, or worse, come loose and tear it up as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Overlanding

thanks for advice! my intentions are to replace the swivel ball too (it has some scratches on it), and to inspect inside the axle tube for leftover metal bites (hopefully,I'll find none!)
pics to follow!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen the posts on here about people "re-surfacing" their swivel ***** with epoxy, etc? If all you have is some scratches, you might consider doing this to save some cash. Also, are you using gear oil or grease for your CV joints? I use 00 grease, which is basically the same as the Rover one-shots. It's a little thicker than gear oil, but still not as thick as, say, bearing grease. It helps cut down on leaks which may be caused by your swivel ***** being scratched, or the seals wearing down. The grease is available at any good tractor/mower supply store. It's for tractor/mower differentials or gearboxes or something. I'm not a tractor guy, despite living in KS. They even come in little tubes that are almost the same volume as the Rover one-shots. I think the Rover ones are 375 mL, and the 00 tubes I found were just shy of that. But they're about half the price, and available locally. Plus, your CV joints should arrive with small packets of grease, so you should be covered at that point. Just remember that when you go to fill the swivel *****, turn the wheel full toward whichever side you're filling. Otherwise the fill port is obstructed internally by the swivel housing itself.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Overlanding

I haven't seen those posts, but I'll be searching for them for sure! I said "scratches", but they look actually more like somebody did a number on them with a cold chisel, so they're more like small dips into metal (I'll post some pics tomorrow)
I'll look into the grease issue at couple of farming stores, maybe on Friday, then post my findings here. Actually, maybe there's a connection between Discos and farming?
I've learnt my (very important) lesson about keeping up with the maintenance on these swivel ***** and CV axles. This might sound a bit crazy, but I'm really looking fwd to start working on my beloved Discovery!
Thanks for the pointer with steering the wheels when filling up the swivel housing btw!

Last edited by CT fan; 03-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.