Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" Terrafirma air lift spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So Im getting the thud noise again when going over speed bumps. Sounds to me that the rear struts are maxed out? Im not sure but the air bags seem like there is just too much air in them and I'm thinking the hight arm sensor spacer is likely the cause. If anyone has experience with this let me know. Im going to try and move the sensor spacer at more of an angle to have the rear sit lower. I feel like its at a 3"-4" lift in the rear and not a 2".

This is where instructions with the kit would have been nice. I looked at another fourm and they seem to have the spacer placed just how I have mine and theirs doesn't sit as high from the after photos.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Just a small detail, these trucks don't have struts. Just shocks and springs. A strut is when the shocks and spring mount are one solid unit like a factory coil over.

Anywho, have you measured the sensor mount to see how much it moved? That should tell you how much lift you have if you measure from the center of the top bolt to the center of the bottom bolt. You can also measure from the center of your hub to the fender flare. Factory spec for the rear is 19" +/- 1/2".

Are you still using factory length shocks? If you are you may need to switch to a longer length shock. The factory unit is most likely topping out. Alternatively, though I'm not sure you have this capability, you could weld tabs to the top shock mount to lower the mounting eye 2". That's what I did.

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Just a small detail, these trucks don't have struts. Just shocks and springs. A strut is when the shocks and spring mount are one solid unit like a factory coil over.

Anywho, have you measured the sensor mount to see how much it moved? That should tell you how much lift you have if you measure from the center of the top bolt to the center of the bottom bolt. You can also measure from the center of your hub to the fender flare. Factory spec for the rear is 19" +/- 1/2".

Are you still using factory length shocks? If you are you may need to switch to a longer length shock. The factory unit is most likely topping out. Alternatively, though I'm not sure you have this capability, you could weld tabs to the top shock mount to lower the mounting eye 2". That's what I did.
Thanks for that, Im coming over from the Volkswagen world so struts are still in my head.

Ill have to measure it and see. I haven't done that yet and thats a good thing to check and see exactly how much it has moved after the spacers.

Im assuming the rear shocks are factory length and like you said they are topping out. I wish I knew how to weld... once I move out of an apartment and have a garage I'm planning on picking it up. Looks like for now I'm going to have to switch to a longer shock to compensate for the lift.

I feel like once you lift it theres no going back to stock hight... just doesn't seem right.

Thanks again! Ill measure the distance tonight and post it. Then its onto looking for new shocks I guess.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M

So to avoid damage to the shocks I offset the sensor spacer to bring the lift down where the shocks won't top out over bumps.

Offset sensor spacer to bring bag hight down to about 20" from hub to wheel well.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I know it's a bit old, but I'm glad I found this thread. It answered some questions I had- the main one being how do I account for the taller height with the SLS sensors.

As some may have seen, I killed my last Disco and recently found a great replacement. I've decided to stick with the SLS and monkey with it for a while. Despite one bag showing a leak since I took it out of SoCal to this cold climate, I've already got replacements and spares, and the system works great, so I'll give it a go.

I got a smokin deal on a TF 2" lift and got an additional great deal on the TF 2" spacers for the rear (nice part is that I'll be able to do either if I get sick of flat bags).

Aaaaanyway... I also sprung for a Nanocom recently. When I get everything installed (front too) will I need to program the height again?

Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by longtallsally
I know it's a bit old, but I'm glad I found this thread. It answered some questions I had- the main one being how do I account for the taller height with the SLS sensors.

As some may have seen, I killed my last Disco and recently found a great replacement. I've decided to stick with the SLS and monkey with it for a while. Despite one bag showing a leak since I took it out of SoCal to this cold climate, I've already got replacements and spares, and the system works great, so I'll give it a go.

I got a smokin deal on a TF 2" lift and got an additional great deal on the TF 2" spacers for the rear (nice part is that I'll be able to do either if I get sick of flat bags).

Aaaaanyway... I also sprung for a Nanocom recently. When I get everything installed (front too) will I need to program the height again?
I didn't have to program the height again, the spacers for the SLS sensor corrects the height. I did have to adjust the spacers because the bags were maxing out my shocks so I measured the distance between the bolt and the knuckle on the sensor arm and made sure they were the same on each side. Glad the thread was helpful, let me know how it goes with the install!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I’m going to tackle it this weekend, so we’ll see. But I replaced the leaking bag last weekend and learned a lot about the system. I was able to fully deflate the bags to aid in the replacement and also can set the height with the nanocom, which was really cool. So hopefully I don’t need to adjust like you did. I also have the longer shocks to go in as well, so I don’t run into the issues you did.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So the nanocom doesn’t fully deflate the bags- had to work a bit to get them out on each side, but went in easy.

Top tip: fully remove the bags and disconnect the bags so they can be easily squished to go back in.

Took it out for a quick test this afternoon.