Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" vs 3" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" vs 3" Lift

I am about to replace my front driveshaft, but before I do that I know I sometime in the near future I want to get a lift for my disco. So I guess I have two questions...

When considering which lift to get (2" or 3"), what should I consider...I mean what else will have to change?

Also, will I need to purchase a different driveshaft?

Thanks again!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

3" is right at the limit with stock driveshafts, brake lines, shocks etc.
If you stay with 2" you wont need to change anything else.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Mudding

Thanks spike...I have another question for ya, I was under the rover yesterday and was trying to figure out if the driveshaft had been rebuilt or not...the front u-joint feels like it has a nipple for grease, but when I was feeling the back one, i couldnt seem to find one...any idea?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If I rememebr right there are no grease fittings on the rear driveshaft.
The rear u-joints should last quite a while before they need replacing and should give you plenty or warning.
Like a driveline vibration, squeking, etc.
The double cardon is right next to the cats and the a/c drips onto it so the combination of the high heat and water dripping all the time just shortens the life of the u-joints like noboys buisness.
But once you lift the truck all bets are off as the change in driveline angles speeds up the wear.
So, although it is not life or death you might want to consider installing a greasable u-joint on the rear drive shaft.
Also take not that the roto flex at the rear diff will not work with a lift over 3", a 3" lift will test it to the limits.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There should be 3 grease fittings and a slip shaft plug on the front drive shaft, if you don't have 3, get it rebuild along with a new centering ball. The rear shaft has one grease fitting and a plug. All the fittings need to be grease at least every other oil change, 6000 miles, or more frequenty if doing a lot of water crossings.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Mudding

Alright guys, so I think I am going to go with the 3" lift, but I'm not completely sold...right now my disco is completely stock, minus the front driveshaft. Before I go jumping into lifting her up and getting some bigger tires, is there anything else I should know?

Basically I dont want to get the lift and the tires and then realize I dont have enough money to do what I should have done before I bought the lift

Any help would be great, thanks guys!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How serious are you about trails, are you going to be looking at lockers and all the fun stuck, or are you looking for the looks?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Mudding

My wife and I would love to go and do Moab, and we enjoy off-roading, I mean nothing insane, but yeah we like testing our rover for sure.

I was hoping you could kinda explain this whole CDL thing to me...my 03 doesnt have it and everyone seems to be upset that 03 dont have it...what exactly is it, and what am i missing out on?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by blcp86
My wife and I would love to go and do Moab, and we enjoy off-roading, I mean nothing insane, but yeah we like testing our rover for sure.

I was hoping you could kinda explain this whole CDL thing to me...my 03 doesnt have it and everyone seems to be upset that 03 dont have it...what exactly is it, and what am i missing out on?

The CDL (or center differential lock), is a bolt on your transmission (and the associated parts within), that allows you to lock the wheels on both the front and the back axle, so as to make them spin at equal speeds whether your tires have traction or not.

An open differential (which is how the D2 operates when not locked), will send power to the wheel with the least amount of traction (creating a traction issue obviously). Land Rover overcame this by using traction control which applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning, forcing the wheel that is not spinning (which has the most traction) to rotate. You achieve more traction than with an open differential without having to throw a lever. The issue is that under extended use, it will heat up your brakes like nobody's business.

Comprende?

ETA did you check your D2 for the range for oil pumps going bad? If you haven't, and it is, then you are up crap creek and I wouldn't put any extra $ into your truck as the motor will be going bad (and there isn't anything you can do about it).

Last edited by co556guy; 07-27-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: 03 Oil Pump issue
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Mudding

co55, my 03 is good to go, but i found the vin range from this site...and my dads 03 falls within that range...it currently has 70k on it and it has had no problems yet...is there anyway to head off this problem?