Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco II tranny service, transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Disco II tranny service, transfer case

Your noise is not coming because of the tranny filter, when exactly do you hear it, hot or cold, high speed or low, speeding up or slowing down?
As for your u-joints, grab a flash light crawl under the truck, look where the front drive shaft hooks to the t/case, if those 2 do not have grease fittings, get them replaced ASAP so you don't have one of the famous $7000 failures.
Mike

Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, I threw the tranny filter thing in there because I'm about to change all of the fluids in the drive train, and I'm thinking about changing the filter because the previous owner of this thing does not have a great maintenace track record.

The noise... It is all times, hot, cold, whatever, I start going and it is just faintly in the background but noticable. It does it when I disengage the transmission as well. I was going about 55 andit was there, shifted down to neutral and it was still doing it. It gets louder the faster I get, and will tone down asI'm decellerating also.

Here's something else: Just a few days ago I had to change the brakes because the right front one was worn to the nub. The left one was still good for a long time. I doubt the previous owner would have just one set of pads changed. I have stepped on the brakes to see if that is making the noise, but as I said, my wife was in passenger seat and I was in driver and we both determined noise was in the center. Do you think a caliper is stuck or something? I have no problems accellerating. I've been spending too much time on my BMW to really go through the brake system on that right side.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I don't have any grease fittings where the shaft hooks into the T/case, only at the front diff. Which means it's a ticking time bomb? Which is the best place to get the right parts? Should go to the stealers, or can I get a better deal online?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

Oh yeah, I threw the tranny filter thing in there because I'm about to change all of the fluids in the drive train, and I'm thinking about changing the filter because the previous owner of this thing does not have a great maintenace track record.

The noise... It is all times, hot, cold, whatever, I start going and it is just faintly in the background but noticable. It does it when I disengage the transmission as well. I was going about 55 and it was there, shifted down to neutral and it was still doing it. It gets louder the faster I get, and will tone down as I'm decellerating also.

Here's something else: Just a few days ago I had to change the brakes because the right front one was worn to the nub. The left one was still good for a long time. I doubt the previous owner would have just one set of pads changed. I have stepped on the brakes to see if that is making the noise, but as I said, my wife was in passenger seat and I was in driver and we both determined noise was in the center. Do you think a caliper is stuck or something? I have no problems accellerating. I've been spending too much time on my BMW to really go through the brake system on that right side.
You may want to check your front calipers, one is hung up. How long since you changed the Brake fluid?
The 30,000 mile service was a frree service from Rover in which they did do a full tranny service including the filter , so don't worry about that.
Mike

Old 08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: m1943

OK, I don't have any grease fittings where the shaft hooks into the T/case, only at the front diff. Which means it's a ticking time bomb? Which is the best place to get the right parts? Should go to the stealers, or can I get a better deal online?
I would suggest you call around get a couple of quotes, mainly from transmission shops. Should be probably no more the $150 or so. Let them buy the parts and do the repairs. If you have any question as to an estimate get back to me.
Mike

Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
You may want to check your front calipers, one is hung up. How long since you changed the Brake fluid?
The 30,000 mile service was a frree service from Rover in which they did do a full tranny service including the filter , so don't worry about that.
Mike
Ok, I'll have to checkthe brakes againwhen I bleed the fluid. I just got this truck, at the 59000 mark. I've recorded your 60k service list, and I'm going to go through that. I'm going to bleed the brakes straight thru. I was waiting on my rave cd to get some info I needed.What's the best way to tell if the caliper is stuck, and how can I prevent it from doing that? I haven't had to deal with such yet.