Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco II wiper parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Disco II wiper parts

Good evening everyone. I want to first say that I have done a brief search of the forum and have found that my question(s) have not been answered specifically. If I have overlooked something I apologize.

I have a 2000 Disco II and I have all ready ordered my Disco I conversion kit, so no issue there. The issue I am having is this: The wipers that are currently on my vehicle are the Disco II oem set. Coming home in the rain yesterday the wipers stopped working. When you turn them on, regardless of the setting on the actual switch on the steering column they go half way up and stop. You can turn the wipers off and back on and still they will not come down. If you continuously turn the switch on and off however you can feel and slightly hear the noise of the wiper motor kicking in and trying to get the arms to move. Eventually they will move back down but you have to time it right and turn the switch off otherwise they will come back up and stick again.

Before this symptom started the other problem was that when you turned it on the slowest setting, they would work fine for about two or three times, then would freeze half way up, where as if you switched to a higher setting the problem would go away.

I have all ready checked the tightness of the nut holding the arms on, and that is fine. Also the inside of the arms are fine and not stripped. Because this has been an on going issue for some time now (I have simply just used the wipers on the fastest setting to keep them from sticking) I am curious as to how I should go about checking the wiper transmission and the wiper motor and maybe even the wiper switch inside the vehicle. I do have a mechanic that will be doing the work as I do not have a garage and I do not wish to do any of this outside in the snow. If by chance the weather clears up enough for me to stand being outside to do this. Other than checking for visual damage to the wiper transmission/motor what else could I do to troubleshoot this down to the specific part I may need so I can order it and have it delivered to my mechanic? Money is somewhat of an issue and I would rather do some legwork so to speak myself in order to cut down on the bill for labour.

I am aware of how one removes the covers on the pillars and also the windshield plenum, so that is not an issue. I am able to get the wiper transmission, wiper motor, and wiper switch for a very good price. However if I do not have to order all of those parts then I do not want to, lol.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The wiper switch is a very common thing to go bad on DII's, usually it is weather related.
When the temp drops the wipers wont work, a new switch clears that right up.
You can remove the switch and clean the contacts on it, that will only cost you your time.
I have yet to hear of a LR wiper motor or wiper transmission going bad, not to say it cant happen, I just have yet to hear of it.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
4th Gear

The problem though started long before winter, and today I was able to take a look in more depth, turns out it is the wiper transmission is worn out. I am going to replace that and the motor both of which were only 148 dollars combined before shipping. Thanks for your help though! The transmission was worn out because I had been using the wipers on high for a long time, also there is a problem in the motor with it not being able to operate the wipers on the lowest settings due to the natural resistance of the wipers against the windshield itself. My Disco 1 conversion kit arrived and the other parts should be here hopefully by thursday and it will all be fixed by then.

Last edited by Chrisr2011; 02-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you for reporting back with the answer to the problem.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
4th Gear

No problem, have a great night!