Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery 2 OBD Code issues Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Discovery 2 OBD Code issues Please Help!!

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted on here. My rover has been more of a lawn ornament due to my new job.

Background.

December 2009
Engine starts throwing Misfire on Cylinder 6. Loud ticking. I changed out spark plug wires to magnacore wires. Still misfire on cylinder 6 did a compression test on right bank was 120,120,60,60. Head Gasket blew and everyone warned me that if I drove it would cut a grove into the block.

March 2010
Took to Roverland in Utah. Had the head gasket replaced with new cylinder heads, intake gasket, spark plugs and a slew of other gaskets. Truck ran great but had a check engine light on. I talked to the manager down at roverland and he said it was the Oxygen sensors. They worked but the heating element was gone and that it was safe to drive. Mileage 149,000 ish.

To this month.

Mileage 151,000 as of today. I have replaced the oxygen sensors front due to the codes for them. After completing the Oxygen Sensor replacement codes in the system after being cleared.

P0174
P1174
P0155
P0135

Doing some research I have a hard time believing that the Bosch O2 Sensors are bad. They where plug and play and matched the connectors. I have just installed a Bosch MAF from bp parts of utah. I know the guy and it is nice to pick up the parts locally and for a good price. I wasnt getting the transmission code but I was getting very hard shifts between 3 and 4th. After the MAF smooth as silk.

Currently no SES light. Though this is normal. I can have the codes cleared at checker and then drive for an hour and nothing. The next morning I can get in the car drive 5 miles and the light will come on. I have reset it 5 times hoping that it was a glitch (all times with the above 5 codes). Now I am hoping that I am on the right track.

Is there anything else that I should check? I have heard that the Intake could be to blame but I had a professional shop with a great track record do the work and hopefully they arent to blame. If I cant solve this at some point this will be parked due to emissions. They wont pass a vehicle in utah with SES light on.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, at your mileage, you should replace all 4 02's, not just the 2 fronts. You should have a 1 year warranty on the 2 02's you already replaced so get them warrantied and replace the rears.
After that, drive it and see what shows up.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry I also forgot P0171 code.

I will try to convince Checker to get me the new O2s if the code pops up today. Hopefully it doesnt and I dont have to go that route.

Is it common to see a bad O2 sensor for these? I literally just installed these two weeks ago and the codes are back.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The manufacture gives a 1 year warranty, this time get all 4, all your 02's have long out lived their newness.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I had the codes pulled again so Checker would warranty the parts.

P0174 Pending
P0171 Pending
P0155
P0135

So they are going to replace them and said if they are having issues when cold that would explain the other two codes as well. I would do the rears right now if I had the extra few dollars to spend. I am trying to get this vehicle to pass inspections and I have another that needs a few parts as well to pass. Once I get them both thru I am going to finish the maintence on the Rover. Havent been driving it and the fuel economy has been normal.

Thanks for the help. I will post next weekend after getting the new sensors installed. Work trip comes first sadly.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I got back from my work trip yesterday and was able to install the replacment O2 sensors in the Discovery. I had the battery disconnected for the week while I was gone. After installation of the new sensors I drove the car for a good 30 miles. No SES and it looked like all was well.

I came home and stopped the engine while I was looking for my Air Pump so I could check and fill the tires. I started the engine to run the pump and the SES came back on in about 5 minutes.

I went to Checker to pull the codes and more of less clear them. I had all the same codes but none marked as pending or history. The only one in the freeze frame was P0174. Is it possible that I need to take this up to a shop and have the ECU Reset or something else to clear this? I have heard if I drive it for 500 miles or so it would do the same thing. Problem is my car isnt registered due to it would fail emissions.

Any ideas?? The cost to take to the local indie shop for diagnostics is $60.00 then that applies to the repair so not a big deal to take it there. It is near my work and I might make the appointment tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Update:

Took the vehicle to the local repair shop here in Salt Lake City. He hooked up his scanner and the 4 codes appeared. He explained to me that it was the ECU not clearing and that his scanner would clear the codes by reprogramming the ECU.

Well to make a long story short it is still there. He cleared the codes and I got 60 miles out of it before they came back. He is going to do more of in depth scan and diag to find the issue. He also is going to install a new hood cable for me and so far my repair bill is $0.00.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccombrink
He is going to do more of in depth scan and diag to find the issue. He also is going to install a new hood cable for me and so far my repair bill is $0.00.
Hey ccombrink...good job on having a $0 bill at this point...but, IMO, something does not seem right. You cannot do a "more of in depth scan"...a scan is a scan...whatever codes that appeared, appeared for a reason. I am not aware of any scanner that has an option of a "more of in depth scan". I could be wrong, but I think he is using a "scan" to "scam". He might be using a new hood cable as a loss leader to a bigger repair bill. Has he ever worked on a LR before?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

The hood latch broke due to the hood seizing. Not a big deal I just dont have time to install a new cable. He can do it quicker than I ever could dream of doing that job.

The guy is a independent Land Rover Shop here in Salt Lake City. I have taken it to him before and he was the mechanic that installed the head gaskets and rebuilt the upper end of my motor last year for me. He used to be a mechanic for Land Rover years and years ago and at the moment he has a long waiting list to get into his shop. I am just lucky and have a good history with the guy outside of work.

What I meant by a more in depth scan was to rescan the computer and find what codes are being pulled. He was sure it was going to be the same 4 but you have to know what codes are first. He has an idea and going to look into it tomorrow. The guy is a honest mechanic and one of the few I trust with the car.

I wish I could solve this but I am tired of trying parts and getting the same errors. You can only replace the same part a few times (under warranty) and hope it will change. The odds it is something else goes up. I am open to suggestions why those 4 codes come back.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccombrink
The hood latch broke due to the hood seizing. Not a big deal I just dont have time to install a new cable. He can do it quicker than I ever could dream of doing that job.

The guy is a independent Land Rover Shop here in Salt Lake City. I have taken it to him before and he was the mechanic that installed the head gaskets and rebuilt the upper end of my motor last year for me. He used to be a mechanic for Land Rover years and years ago and at the moment he has a long waiting list to get into his shop. I am just lucky and have a good history with the guy outside of work.

What I meant by a more in depth scan was to rescan the computer and find what codes are being pulled. He was sure it was going to be the same 4 but you have to know what codes are first. He has an idea and going to look into it tomorrow. The guy is a honest mechanic and one of the few I trust with the car.

I wish I could solve this but I am tired of trying parts and getting the same errors. You can only replace the same part a few times (under warranty) and hope it will change. The odds it is something else goes up. I am open to suggestions why those 4 codes come back.
That is good to hear ccombrink...it's all about communication and I was simply looking out for a fellow rover owner.

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery 2 OBD Code issues Please Help!!