Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery 2 OBD Code issues Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Could be vacuum or MAF related, at this point I would say vacuum leak.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries I am at my wits end chasing these codes. If I keep working on it on weekends I wont ever get it done.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Update:

Talked to the mechanic today. He tore the thing apart looking for a loose wire, vacuum line anything that would cause this issue. He put it all back together and still throwing the same 4 codes. He spent the last two days looking this over and was not able to locate a single problem in either the wirring harness or vacuum system.

So the verdict he gave me was a failing ECU. In general the computer works great while warm but when it is cold it gives out errors (most likely cold solder joints or bad cap). I could probably fix it and most likely still will to have a spare on hand. Lucky for me I found a good used one with a 30 day warranty for $125.00 here in Salt Lake City (Better than 1700 wants for a new one or the 800 for a refurb).

Estimate for the repair
Hood Latch and Cable - $120.00
Computer Replacment (Minus the ECU) $100.00
Computer $125.00

Total 345.00 plus tax. Thankfully the mechanic hasnt charged me to this point. I asked him for my bill today and said since he had fun chasing down an unsual problem that it was free. Hopefully this will fix it...fingers crossed.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Update again....

Talked to the mechanic tdoay and acutally went by the shop. He had the wire harness opened up in the engine and by the computer. He has tried the following;

1) 3 computers
2) 2 different oxygen sensors
3) Traced the wirring

He has decided that he needs to give up on the car. He thinks it is now a wirring harness is the issue due to the following reasons.

1) Heater Element works
2) All sensors are sending signals
3) Computer programs and responds

The check engine light just stays on. If reset it will come back on after 60 miles due to something that he can not track down. I will get the car back tomorrow if it doesnt sell to the couple from Wyoming (no testing required) and I will either try for a waiver or I will have to tag in another state. I was hoping to sell it and get a Disco 1 or a Range Rover Classic but either way I still have a Land Rover.

Now if anyone has an idea what may be causing this please give me a bone. If I end up keeping this Rover it would be nice not to have the SES light all the time. I would have to buy a scanner just to keep an eye on the codes and make sure nothing new pops up.

Ideas??? Anyone???

Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Back to looking for a vacum leak as mike suggested, does the shop the trucks at have an evap smoke machine? If so have they tried to smoke the intake system to the engine? sound very vacumish to me....

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I can ask him to do a smoke test. Though my question would be why would a vacuum leak cause oxygen sensor heater issues? I would have to pay him to run that test and rather make sure I am not just throwing money at it.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

all you have left is o2 heater issues? Not hydro carbon readings issues (they are quicky switching voltage)?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling

From the discussions with the mechanic.

The O2s are reporting voltages for heater circuit startup and shut off. They are working and have no issues. They are quickly switching voltage and the only lazy one is the right rear but no codes yet. Will replace it after I tag the vehicle (if I can).

I have read that a ECT (engine coolant sensor) on other makes can cause this issue. Though I am not interested in throwing in another part till I am certain it is going to do some good.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Could be vacuum or MAF related, at this point I would say vacuum leak.
+1 on the vac leak. When I ran some of your first codes through my P code decoder they come up mixture faults. I would have the shop do a smoke test and look for a vac leak. Also if your fuel mileage is down a couple MPG it would also lead me to think vac leak.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Well the consensus is a vacuum leak. My current mechanic is very done with this project. He has others that he is going to make money and has said enough is enough.

I have located another one to run the tests and is just up the street. Since I wasnt billed the cost of the computer or the time to attempt the repair I will pay for another mechanic to take a look.

They are going to smoke the system to see if there is a leak and go from there. Hopefully this goes somewhere due to we ruled almost everything else out.

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery 2 OBD Code issues Please Help!!