Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Lift kit question and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Lift kit question and tires?

I came across this:

http://toddcosuspensions.com/2cospsulikit4.html

Now, other then raising the center of gravity, will this negatively impact the ride? It seems to cheap to get 2" lift, especially after researching Jeep Wrangler kits before I bought the Disco lol.

Like, does it hurt the springs or suspension system? My disco just passed the 100k mark so shes not new and I have no service records so I'm assuming the shocks/springs are stock. I don't have airbags so thats one plus... but I'd like to have more clearance (as if 10 inchs isnt enough already stock!) but mostly to be able to get some big ol mudder lookin tires on there. i dont want to put this kit on and a year from now somethin breaks as a direct result of adding this on! i wont be offroading/rock crawling, its for looks mainly, i love sitting up higher on the road, and clearance for deep snow winter days.

second, what are some options for bigger tires on the stock rims?

and third, same question, but with that 2 inch lift kit added?

thanks all!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

anyone?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Lots of threads on here on this subject but the short answer is that 100K your springs and shocks are worn out and installing spacers does not cure this problem. Right now your truck is at least and inch lower than when it rolled off the show room floor because of sag. I don't believe the two inch spacers will hurt anything, but it could make it a little unsteady. But can't say for sure as I have not tried it..and won't. The correct fix is new springs and shocks from terrafirma or OME and problem is then solved and you improve your ride, get some clearance in the wheel wells for larger tires if you go that direction. Not many options out there if you want to maintain the stock height except OEM and they are VERY expensive. You can buy after market which are better for less.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spacers aren't as bad as everyone says. I have first-hand experience with them on my truck for the past 40k miles! I had them on my truck for the last 2 years. I put them on when it had about 55k miles on it and am going to a "proper" TerraFirma lift next weekend. I'm now at 93k miles. I'll be selling a set of the 2" spacers after I install the new springs(which are already sitting in my garage) on the 19th. I don't know how it'd affect the ride on your truck- based on age and mileage yours has been sitting on those springs a lot longer than mine was/has. My factory springs were relatively fresh compared to yours, so that could make a difference. If you're trying to do it all "on the cheap", the spacers are worth a shot and you can get by with replacing only the rear shocks.

I'll sell the spacers for $125, shipped. For that price you can try them and then if you're displeased you can take them off and get your money back out of them, so you'll have only lost the time for your labor.

For the shocks, if you need them cheap, just buy a pair of the +2" Pro Comp ES9000 shocks for the rear. They're not great shocks and people here talk trash about them, but they'll still be a marked improvement from OEM and give you the extra travel you need in the rear.

Again, take all the advice you get (even mine) with a grain of salt and make your own decision based on your options, intentions, and budget. Most people that will chime in and offer an opinion have no experience with what you're actually asking about and most of those that do have experience with the spacers won't chime in because they're afraid of getting flamed by everyone else.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.