Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Discovery 2 over heated

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 Discovery 2 over heated

Dear sirs,My Discovery over heated I drove it this way about a mile before I realized steam was coming out of the hood.It died in my drive way I found the culprit bad water pump so I let it cool down and it fired right up no noises at all no exhaust leaks or ping noises so I shut it off immediately.Checked my dipstick and coolant and oil mix together milky white color so do I have a cracked head gaskets?Iam hoping that when I put my new water pump on and thermostat and change the oil I’ll drive it around and check the dipstick for coolant But Iam surely not that lucky,Iam just a little skeptical about the head gaskets replacement for I had a 98 Range Rover That did the same exact thing and it had loud exhaust leak coming from the head gasket so I replaced the whole top gaskets,Water pump thermostat coolant and the problem was solved but this one has 130,000 4.0 boush motor and I really don’t know what to do?Where is the coolant coming from?Why is it quite?any one out there been up against this before any help would be appreciated I’ve got all sorts of opinions on the matter everything from just the water pump leaking into the block to buy a new motor maybe a pressure test would tell me?I don’t know please help me Yours truly

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Sure sounds like a head gasket failure to me. You can buy a test kit to see if combustion gas is detected in the coolant system. Is will turn a color if detected.

How did you confirm the problem was the water pump?

https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76&ved=2ahUKEwj00OLN3urdAhVIXq0KHXZ7AroQFj AAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1DQP1uzl6XS6DtH2rMa1Vk

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

There are multiple dozens of threads on this forum about overheating and head gasket issues with these trucks. Yours is not the first to have issues like this. If you are not confident in your ability to accurately diagnose the specific cause of your oil contamination it is probably best to have a reliable, honest mechanic look at it.
Replacing the water pump and thermostat may not solve any of your problems. Doing that and then driving it around for a while could lead to much more serious trouble, up to a cracked or seized engine block.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default 2001 over heat

Dear sirs,After The steaming from under the hood I noticed coolant leaking on the ground and wiggled the fan wheel and low and behold the pump was shot no telling how long it had been out for I constantly scan my gauges and the temperature gauge never went up at all,I don’t trust these temperatures gauge any longer,I hope I didn’t cause any more damage than just a possible head gasket thanks for the information I’ll try that pressure pump that changes the color for combustibles but it sounds like the head gaskets.I will have them machined and checked for any cracks while I have the heads off should I inspect to see if I have any slipped sleeves or that one piston that looks like it’s been steam cleaned?or anything else while I’m in there want to do it all right the first time.I could kick myself in the );”$ All This could have been avoided if I had just checked the water pump sooner and do not rely on the temperature gauge for acutely letting you know your running hot!

Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Overheaters Anonymous Club. Named just now for all of us that have struggled for months some times only to realize the block is indeed cracked and an incredible expensive rebuild is necessary or you will have to hope for the best with a donor motor.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Oha club

Amen Brother!I found a 4.0 with 130,000 original boush completely running for 500.00 it’s allready pulled in Came out of a wrecked 02 Discovery 2 YES!!!!!!🚀🔧🔩⚙️It’s on it’s way from New York be here Monday 👍😅

Old 10-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Your coolant in the oil is more likely a result of overpressurization of the cooling system from the boiling of the coolant, leading to blowing the front cover gasket where the cooling system seals the front cover. You should be able to tell by removing the front cover. If that gasket is not blown, you probably have a cracked block but that is quite rare.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Oha club

Amen to that Brother,I bought a 4.0 motor with 130,000 original complete allready pulled it came out of a 02 Discovery 2 that had been wrecked will be here Monday 500.00 delivered from New York Yes!!!!!😅🔧🔩⚙️Runs Beutiful he guaranteed It or my money back YES!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Extinct thanks

dear sir,Thanks for the input it made me feel a lot better about my situation,I found a 4.0 motor that has 130,000 miles boush I bought it and it will be here Monday I actually sent two threads trying to tell the community of Land Rover form of my find But when I posted it it said it had to be reviewed by the staff I don’t know why that is I didn’t use any profanity,I Did put in the thread how much I paid for it maybe that’s why but anyway Iam very excited about the motor it came out of a 03 Discovery 2 that the insurence claimed as a total it was hit from behind by a semi the owner said its a complete running motor with no issues in fact mine the 2001 that I’ve been talking about lately that over heated and I didn’t know what I was going to do well now I now for mine had 130,000 as well so I am going to borrow a buddy’s shop he has a cherry picker and all the tools so Iam just going to swap the motors out this will be my 12 one I’ve done I use to have a body shop and I did lift kits on Land Rovers and customizing paint and restoration on camel trophy,Treks,and the old 1,2and 3 safari wagons.I cannot believe what I paid for the motor I’ll put it this way 5 bills delivered so I’ll be up and running by the end of next week Yes!!!!!