Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem

hi guys,
I have 99 disc ii with 99 k miles. it was running perfect up untill I had water pump failed, I was on the free way and it starts over heating pulled over found out heated hose busted replaced it and then found bad water pump. replace the water pump and flushed the cooling system twice it ran fine for aweek with out overheating. then it starts overheating I said might be air in the system followed the RAVE and purp the system put no way it stop over heating
replaced tstat, hoses. no water in the oil (drained the oil) no leaks even though I bypassed the heater coil with no success.
If its idling it doesn't overheat until I drive for a mile the temp climps in socends. and the reserve tank over flow with massive pressure. I tried everything I know and read with no success. any idea what is going on? I'm thinking I have combustion gases leaking into the coolant passages but the coolant it looks clean and doesn't smill like combustion gas. I dont want to do HG job and it is not the problem.

thanks

Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ahmed
hi guys,
I have 99 disc ii with 99 k miles. it was running perfect up untill I had water pump failed, I was on the free way and it starts over heating pulled over found out heated hose busted replaced it and then found bad water pump. replace the water pump and flushed the cooling system twice it ran fine for aweek with out overheating. then it starts overheating I said might be air in the system followed the RAVE and purp the system put no way it stop over heating
replaced tstat, hoses. no water in the oil (drained the oil) no leaks even though I bypassed the heater coil with no success.
If its idling it doesn't overheat until I drive for a mile the temp climps in socends. and the reserve tank over flow with massive pressure. I tried everything I know and read with no success. any idea what is going on? I'm thinking I have combustion gases leaking into the coolant passages but the coolant it looks clean and doesn't smill like combustion gas. I dont want to do HG job and it is not the problem.

thanks
If it's not the head gasket it's got a leak at a sleeve and you need a short block with "top hat" liners. Your best bet is send your core to D & D Fabrications or Turner Engineering UK for exchange towards one of their remanufactured blocks. Don't mess with buying a used motor; you'll just get screwed. Believe me you can't trust anyone selling a used Land Rover motor; its for sell because its junk. If you don't get a block with "top hat" liners/flanged sleeves you are wasting your time and throwing your money away.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

@ 99k your due for head gaskets.
there is a kit you can buy that with check for exhaust gasses for about $50.00 at advances or autozone.
If you didnt over heat it too badly it a weekend and A $500.00 job if you can turn a wrench.
you should replace the thermostat, hoses, and concider the water pump while your there.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear

thanks guys for help I get fixed.
I've used the head gasket repair BLUE DEVIL and it worked very good. I been driving it for the past 8 days and it never over heated.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Please keep us posted, Blue Devil is considered a temporary fix by many. You may want to consider using the extra time it buys you to save up for the eventual head gasket job.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would highly suggest you flush all the Blue Devil from your coolant system as well as remove and clean out your t/stat and install new green coolant or you will find yourself with one gummed up engine. Too many people have has long term side effects from using that product. That being said, I am a big promoter of White Shepherd products except for that one.