Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 head gaskets - back together - squealing sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 head gaskets - back together - squealing sound

I had posted here about replacing my head gaskets on my 2001 Disco II. I've only been able to work on it a few hours each weekend, so it's taken me a while to get it finished.

Today I tightened the last bolt and got everything set. I turned it over and once fuel made its way to the ejectors and the lifters became hydraulic, she fired right up. The engine seemed to run fine.

I did notice, however, that there was an annoying loud squeal comin from the area of the power steering pump. It sounds like belt noise, but I also note that it's the loudest nearest the power steering pump and when I look at the fluid tank, the PS fluid is not being stirred in the tank like it normally has been observed. While working on the head gaskets, I had the pump and bracket assembly tied up and out of the way with a large tie-strap. I has also replaced the power steering pump about 6 months ago and had no problem with it.

Could it be that air has somehow entered the system because the pump was placed upside down for such a long period while I worked on the engine? All the pulleys are turning and I didn't have any belt dressing to see if it was merely the belt, but it seems to be coming from the PS pump rather than the belt in general.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks