Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 SE7 Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SE7 Air Suspension

We've got an '01 SE7 with about 110,000 miles that we bought back in the Spring. The rear air suspension is inconsistently leaking. Every morning, the back end is sitting low, but when you start it up, it usually pops back up fairly quickly. The problem is some days it will stay inflated and function properly. Other days, it will slowly leak out to the point of every little bump being painful. It doesn't seem to be temperature or weather dependent. Any ideas? How expensive of a repair is it? I'm not handy, so it's nothing I would ever attempt myself.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bjf123
We've got an '01 SE7 with about 110,000 miles that we bought back in the Spring. The rear air suspension is inconsistently leaking. Every morning, the back end is sitting low, but when you start it up, it usually pops back up fairly quickly. The problem is some days it will stay inflated and function properly. Other days, it will slowly leak out to the point of every little bump being painful. It doesn't seem to be temperature or weather dependent. Any ideas? How expensive of a repair is it? I'm not handy, so it's nothing I would ever attempt myself.
Most likely leaky air bags, either 1 or both. They are rubber and all eventually leak. You can either get replacement bags (recommended to do both at the same time) - I recommend BP of Utah has the Arnott (lifetime warrenty) bags on sale for $115 each.

Or, you can convert to coils. Conversion kits are usually around $250.

Just make sure you know for sure before throwing money at it, I'm NO expert. You can spray soapy water on the bags when stressed and if it bubbles...you've got a leak. Can be tough to find though, mine's down at the fold.

I'm about to replace my air springs, and it seems quite simple. I've heard guys say from 1/2 an hour to an hour. Doing the conversion is more involved and opinions vary on if to do it and why. Its my wife's rig and won't be off-road so I'm replacing the air springs. Good Luck.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Some friends who are big into Rovers told us about a local garage that specializes in Rovers. Maybe I'll give them a call to see what they might charge to take a look and if that's all it is, repair it.