Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 DII low oil pressure @ 133k - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The video on Atlantic British's website mentions the bypass valve getting stuck open due to contaminants in the oil. It might be worth your while to investigate that possibility.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing would be to drop your oil pan and clean out your pick up tube. That would be the fastest and easiest fix and it cost nothing. If you change oil pump and its just a gunked up tube, time and money wasted.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith CH
First thing would be to drop your oil pan and clean out your pick up tube. That would be the fastest and easiest fix and it cost nothing. If you change oil pump and its just a gunked up tube, time and money wasted.

Just to be clear here, dropping the oil pan is not free. You have to replace the gasket, buy RTV, don't forget a new pick up strainer o-ring, and the oil cooler pipe o-ring will need to be replaced as well.

Also changing the oil pump gears with high miles isn't wasted money more as preventive maintenance in my opinion. Same with the timing chain and gears. Waiting for either the oil pump gears or timing chain to completely fail will probably cost you way more money in the long run.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've gotta agree with Jared9220... I think it would be false economy to go through all the hassle to drop the pan, and it is a big hassle, and not do the oil pump at least. There are tons and tons of dead Disco's around due to failed oil pump gears. And we're not just talking about the 03's. Sooner or later, the oil pump outer gear cracks and the pump fails. When it does, your engine is on deaths door until you replace it. If I wind up dropping the pan again for anything, that pump is getting replaced again no matter what. Without an oil pump, you've got nothing but a massive repair bill looming.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is this not a mute point don't you have to drop the oil pan to remove the timing cover on a DII

Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Thanks for the additional comments, I just wish the one about the bypass valve had been mentioned before I had the front of the engine and the oil pan off. Still haven't gotten the front cover off yet (I'm working on it in small blocks of time.)

I am just stunned that it could actually be plugged pick up tube - that would be unheard of in the Chevy V8 world I am used to.

We will see what I find when I get the front cover off - does anyone know if you have to remove the water pump to remove the front cover ? It is obviously new and I woudl prefer not to have to remove it from the front cover if not required.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

only a few bolts go threw the cover and into the block, 4 bolts ' I think' the 2 at the pump intake and the 2 at the output. in the annual it is the ones that require sealer.

ford 302's taxi cabs & police cars were know for blocked pickup form sitting and idling all day.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
We will see what I find when I get the front cover off - does anyone know if you have to remove the water pump to remove the front cover ? It is obviously new and I woudl prefer not to have to remove it from the front cover if not required.
No you do not have to take the pump off ,but you might as well replace the gasket since it's easy to get to.

-The timing chain kit comes with a new water pump gasket, front cover gasket, front oil seal, oil pan gasket, and timing chain and gears: ($120 Timing Chain Kit For Land Rovers And Range Rovers | Engine Parts)

-Oil pump gears: ($100) Rover Oil Pump Gear Kit (Same Fit As Genuine Part # OPK003) | Land Rover Engine Parts

Old 08-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

While you are in there, be sure to use a sealant on the timing cover gasket. They will occasionally blow and look like a head gasket leak (coolant in oil).

More than one person has replaced head gaskets to learn it was actually the timing cover gasket.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

OK, the mystery deepens. Got the pan and cover off. No sludge in the pan, pickup tube is not blocked, so can rule that out. Pump rotor is not cracked or broken, and does not look worn, so can probably rule that out. Had an old Buick 231 years ago when they put oil pump gears in an aluminum housing - those had a problem with wearing the housing. Minimal wear on the housing relative to that old experience so I don't think it is that. Dropped a rod bearing cap - minimal wear there - will plastigage a few tomorrow but I don't think I have a clearance issue. Ran out of time to check the pressure relief valve but needless to say I am going to be pissed if that turns out to be the problem after I have dropped the pan and pulled the front cover!