Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Disco II

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Disco II

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 Discovery Series II SE. 105k, GREAT condition. Battery was dead so we jumped it. M and S lights on, as well as Check Engine. Seemed to run great. Guy says it won't move, throwing a P0772 code (or P0722). Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue before. I've been searching like crazy and found some conflicting information, but nothing specific to the situation. I didn't try shifting it, but plan on going back to look it over thoroughly. Doing some searching I thought possibly it was from the battery, but it seems like something else. Maybe the XYZ switch? Output speed sensor?

It did also have a "wet" front axle from what looked like coolant, and coolant puddling on the exhaust/muffler. Presuming it's headgaskets. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Looking to join the LR family. (Was looking for a Jeep, but I like to be...well different).

Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Drifting

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-flash-47541/

Check this for the M S light issue. Wife left the sun roof open and the center console got soaked during a rain storm. Truck threw up the MS and went into limp mode. Took apart the center console dried everything with a hair dryer 6k later no issue and no codes.

Don't know with the coolant leak. I'd say first check all the hose connections make sure they're tight and go from there.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The the RAVE, the shop manual set you can download below, in the automatic gearbox section, P0722 is torque converter slipping. You most likely are looking at a vehicle that has not been maintained (like tranny fluid changes). So you could be buying a transmission rebuild, and head gaskets. If you like to wrench and this is a $500 Disco.... in other words, you might want to look at others that don't have a blown transmission, and engine damage of an unknown level. (at very best - tranny fluid and filter change, and throttle body heater gasket - if you are an optimist). www.statewidelist.com will search all of craigslist in your state and list by metro area, so you'll know what's out there for Rover.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So which code is it, makes a huge difference.
How much are they asking for this Disco?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the suggestions. It's the PO722 code. It sounds like it could be a myriad of problems/fixes. They're asking $2,990 but I can probably get it for under $2k. The truck is in otherwise GREAT shape. I'm super critical and this truck is one of the cleanest around. For the Year/Miles/Price, do you think it's worth it?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
4wd Low

Also looked at a 99 with about 180k and a 2" lift. Allegedly same code, but works if you first put it in 1st, then switch up to D once moving....Decisions....

Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep lookin....And find one that at least drives correct.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Mudding

I got rid of my intemittent MS and 3 Amigos lights by cleaning the grounds and replaced the engine ground strap (snapped in half).. the other stuff I have no clue about..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it has a cooling issue, a brake issue, a transmission issue and a charging issue, and your still considering it, What does it need a meteor thru the roof issue to move on to another unit?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
it has a cooling issue, a brake issue, a transmission issue and a charging issue, and your still considering it, What does it need a meteor thru the roof issue to move on to another unit?

.....I just choked on my cereal....A meteor....Ahhhahhh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Disco II