Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I was leaving my school, and it was a little difficult to start, but did on the third try. Then, as I was driving, it started to stall and the service engine soon light came on and the S and M lights flashed just briefly.
I drove it just enough so I could park it. I had my brother in law come and look at it (still in the parking space). After starting it again, it died only after about a minute. Then we let it sit and drove it again. The service engine soon light came on again and the S and M lights flashed again too. It also wouldn't drive well (had to apply a lot of gas to get it to move). It worked okay in reverse though. We think it might be in limp mode, but we aren't sure.
Also, my heat and a/c went out a couple of months ago, and I hadn't gotten around to getting them fixed yet. We know it has electrical problems; we tested the voltage on the power supply to the blower motor, and it was below 12. It needs new wiring.
We're having codes ran on it ASAP, but does anyone know what that could be/probably is? Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have your charging system checked at the same time; 75% of the time M&S lights are caused by a bad battery or alt..
The Alt has to put out 13.6 on a LR 12vt will not cut it.
Then have the codes read after the charging system is back up to snuff.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Get your codes read so we can help you, also as already mentioned clean and tighten your battery and ground cables so you can get the charging system tested, needs to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
8th Gear

Thanks everyone, my mechanic is going to check the alternator/battery as soon as he can and get the codes read. We thought it might be the transmission, but now that I've heard about limp mode it makes more sense. What can make it go into limp mode?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Lots of things. See two pages attached. Can be a low battery, tranny problems, XYZ selector switch full of mud and water, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
output.pdf120.pdf (1.59 MB, 281 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why pay a mechanic, are you that flush you can stupport their habits.
Just go to any auto parts store, they will check both of these issues for free.
Get all the fault code numbers and voltages and get back to us.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Mudding

really Ckayak,.. I got lucky.. my M S experience was only a minor voltage issue.. I cleaned up a few ground connectors and it never came back.. listen to Buzz and Mike.. get them your codes.. youll save a lot of $$$$.. Your mechanic is going to charge you for troubleshooting a problem he may know NOTHIING about..

Last edited by rimasco; 02-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
8th Gear

He (the mechanic) is a family friend, and he checked the battery and alternator and they are fine. He couldn't read the codes though, and neither could Auto Zone! So we had to take it to another mechanic, who's aparently one of the only two in town that can read the codes. I'll probably know Monday now. It was also strange that the Discovery drove fine all the way there, and none of the lights came on. It's looking more and more like electrical problems.
Thanks everyone for the help so far. Hopefully it will be Monday when I will have an actual code. And sorry for not having a picture for telling you the mileage and the year of the model.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
8th Gear

Code came up for crank case sensor. In the process of replacing it

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

crank shaft sensor is not going to help you M&S lights

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash