Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 disco2 tracking down leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is exactly where the drips of coolant are coming from (left side bell housing!), but just as discomike stated that it is most likely a head gasket, but the valley gasket would take the same amount of labor to get access too right? so it may be a moot point (the valley is the large gasket offered in the atlantic british kit right?)
- either way ill check that area for the leaking coolant...... i'm still stumped on the oil on the front, tho

Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slave600
that is exactly where the drips of coolant are coming from (left side bell housing!), but just as discomike stated that it is most likely a head gasket, but the valley gasket would take the same amount of labor to get access too right? so it may be a moot point (the valley is the large gasket offered in the atlantic british kit right?)
- either way ill check that area for the leaking coolant...... i'm still stumped on the oil on the front, tho
That is my point, it is just as likely to NOT be the head gasket, the valley pan gasket can be done in a couple of hours, the headgaskets are a dif kettle of fish all together.

If you take a look where I suggested, you will see where the head gasket lies easily , and the valley pan gasket which is higher up, either way I would personally, DEF not condem the headgasket till you physically see that is where its leaking from.

I can just imagine how many V8's over the years have had headgaskets replaced for no reason because of this common leaking area, and people would be none the wiser really as the valley pan gasket has to be done during the job anyway.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Mudding

Urban panzer has it right on. I just added another 2004 SE to the herd to replace the 2001 SE7 and guess what, it had a major coolant leak down the left side of the bell housing like the problem that slave 600 is having.

It was exactly what urban panzer stated; the lower intake / valley pan gasket was leaking. Replaced it this past weekend and it cured the problem.

But before dismantling it, I did a compression check to make sure I had no issues with internal compression loss, the oil had no water in it, the spark plugs were all similar in appearance and there was no problem compression loss into the cooling system.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Drifting

any chance someone can explain what the valley gasket is? is it an intake gasket or does it actually cover over a large area in the intake manifold area??? (never seen a d2 pulled apart!!). and unimoged explain again how i can view the area.... i have like an inch of room between the firewall and the left side of the engine back, how can i view the leaking area u spoke of?? from under the truck?? thanx

Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the valley pan gasket. You remove the lower intake manifold(left/top) and then there is the valley pan gasket (right/bottom)

Attached Thumbnails 2002 disco2 tracking down leaks-valley-pan-gasket1.jpg   2002 disco2 tracking down leaks-valley-pan-gasket.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cleaning out my pc and I found some piccys from when I did My valley pan gasket on my D1.

You can clearly see the top corner (rear left corner when installed) is where it has leaked, then runs down onto the bell housing.