Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 discovery II shifter noise question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 discovery II shifter noise question.

Hi everyone. This is my first post here!

I bought a land rover 2002 DSII about 1 month ago and have been loving it so far! Only problem is that today my stupid friend decided to shift it to 4WDL while i was pulling up to a red light. I got mad at him. I just got it a month ago and really wasnt sure how to fix it back to regualr drive---after about 5 minutes playing with it I figured out what it is normally supposed to be. My question is, after he changed it to 4WDL and I changed it back there are 2 new noises the car is making and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what they are/how to fix them?

The first noise is when I hit the brakes there is a snapping noise and the shifter jerks a little---so if it is in park and I hit the brake in it sounds like there is a line connected to the shifter and it makes a clicking/snapping noise and the shifter jerks...It never did this before he put it into low gear!

The second noise is when you shift to any gear or shift at all there is a clicking noise in the dash---so if I shift from P to D it will click 3 times---kinda sounds exactly like the turn signle clicking except I am not touching the turn signle.

I hate to compain about two noises, but there werent there before hand and they are kinda annoying!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John Kubik

Edit:Whoops I think I posted it in the wrong forum...silly me...sorry!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 2002 discovery II shifter noise question.

No, this is the right one.

There should be a loud click when it is in park and you hit the brakes. It is a slenoid letting you shift out of park. Does it do it if you are in neutral (flat surface) and hit the brakes?

The clicks in the dash.... are you sure they do it when you move through the drive gears? It could just be the relay turning on the reverse lights. PtoR click turning them on, R to N click turning them off.

Get out your manual and read up on the shifter. YOu should be in neutral and completely stopped before shifting.. I would suggest shifting it once a month just to make sure it doesn't lock up....

cheers

Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
7th Gear

thanks for the quick reply! I am gonna go check.

Sad thing is I dont have a manual yet, I am gonna go get one tomorrow...

Would a dealership look at my car for free?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
7th Gear

Ok, the slenoid does not click while in neutral only when in park! any way to make it quieter? Why didnt it make the noise before (Am I crazy)?

The second noise clicking happens in order from PtoR from RtoN and from NtoD it doesnt happen from Dto1-3...It happens going back up as well...So it isnt a relay I dont think cause the reverse lights were off NtoD...I also turned on the turn signles while shifitng and it was a similar noise but at a different spot in the dash.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealerwill probably charge you a "diagnostic" fee of some sort, pat you on the back tell you it will all be ooohkaaaa..
Just leave a signed check and hope you have a good credit score!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
7th Gear

Ha ha ha

My guess is that means not to take it to a dealership...I guess I am gonna have to spend my xmas break learning all about my LR...