Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 overheating, HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 overheating, HELP!!!!!

I just bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 liter that over heats once you start driving it. You can let it idle for an hour and it does great. The person I bought it from said it sat for about 2 years because her son went to the army. They put a new water pump and thermostat on it but didn't help so I'm assuming that's why they parked it. It leaves no puddles on the ground but I did do a cooling system pressure test on it and it would loose pressure within 1 minute. The only place I could see a leak was the rubber hose that connects to the plastic pipe that goes into the firewall ( to theheater core maybe), can this cause it to over heat???? Please help

Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

anytime you have a leak it can cause you to overheat, you should replace the clamp and repeat the test.
honestly that is the least likely leak to cause you to over heat as it is the top of the cooling system.
retest your system when it does hold pressure for 20-30 minutes then you need to bleed the system. Messy job not two way around it.
raise the recovery tank with a dundy cord 6-8 inches to high and you will kink the hoses so use caution.( it just sits in a plastic snap clip) fill the recovery tank to the top. now remove the screw on the upper radiator hose Tee, yes it will make a mess. keep the recovery tank full it could take up to a minute to force the air out. reinstall the screw start the truck, put your heaters on full and take it for a ride. next morning check the level cold and refill

Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok last night I put coolant dye in the cooling system and ran the engine, I saw no leaks around the heads but did find a small crack with leak on top of the radiator under the plastic shield and another leak from the throttle body heater assembly. I checked the oil but it made no color difference in the color so I don't know if the coolant in getting in the oil due to it being mostly water(owner put in prior to me buying it). could my head gaskets be ok and just those two leak cause it to over heat like it did?