Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 4.6 engine camshaft thrust plate problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 4.6 engine camshaft thrust plate problems?

Hey there,

I have a nice rattle on start up that decreases in sound intensity as the engine/oil heats up. I doubt it is the oil pump as the oil light (pressure) is not on.
The sound is not on the top of the motor (lifters, pushrods), nor does it sound like rod-knock (which is always there and gets worse over time and increase in RPM).

My two main catagories are either the oil pick up rattling loose, or the camshaft thrust plate. I have a Bosch motor, and I believe the 4.6 has this item.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR2609.cfm

Anyone know about if the thrust plates get worn or rattle loose (bolts loosen)?

Regards,
Jonathan

Here is a photo of a similar set up for reference:

Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be stating the obvious, but the diagram you posted is showing the TDI engine?

I'm not seeing the thrust plate on this diagram or parts list, but then again, this diagram doesn't list the 4.6 either.....http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-598-lower-end.aspx

P.S. - I see you're from the Boro, I'm an MTSU Alum. Go Blue Raiders!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I might be stating the obvious, but the diagram you posted is showing the TDI engine?

I'm not seeing the thrust plate on this diagram or parts list, but then again, this diagram doesn't list the 4.6 either.....http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-598-lower-end.aspx

P.S. - I see you're from the Boro, I'm an MTSU Alum. Go Blue Raiders!
The photo was for reference, but actually part #4 is a thrust plate, and yes that diagram is for a TDi.

Per your link for the rover engine parts, I concur that the part #51 (camshaft retainer plate a.k.a. "thrust plate") is only for the 3.9 and 4.2 liter motors.

However, if you dig further and click on part #51, it takes you to a link where if you go back one you find the plate for the 4.6 liter motor:
http://roversnorth.com/store/p-10136...-camshaft.aspx

by the way, I hate MTSU. Hopefully they will have a parking garage completed within the next two years.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Overlanding

The sound is puzzling. It sounds like a rod knock on start up, very loud and clacky. However, the sound fizzles away after the engine is warm and is incredibly hard to hear at all after driving around for 10 minutes (oil hot). Every single rod-bearing issue I have ever encountered it was loud clacking through the entire RPM range and the motors never lasted long after that.

Maybe its just the oil sump tube loose, per my indy mechanic (he is a BMW master tech and loves to work on Rovers, he had one and loves their durability and alike).

Last edited by Simann; 09-30-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Simann
The photo was for reference, but actually part #4 is a thrust plate, and yes that diagram is for a TDi.

Per your link for the rover engine parts, I concur that the part #51 (camshaft retainer plate a.k.a. "thrust plate") is only for the 3.9 and 4.2 liter motors.

However, if you dig further and click on part #51, it takes you to a link where if you go back one you find the plate for the 4.6 liter motor:
http://roversnorth.com/store/p-10136...-camshaft.aspx

by the way, I hate MTSU. Hopefully they will have a parking garage completed within the next two years.
I figured that photo was for reference, just had to check

And sorry you feel that way about MTSU, parking sucked bad enough 4 years ago I can't imagine what it is now

Good luck with your fix, hopefully it's something simple.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I understand you have good oil pressure, have you done a 4 point test yet, if so, what are the numbers?
The reason I asked is you can have oil pressure and still have a broken outer ring on the oil pump that will make the type of noise you may be hearing.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I understand you have good oil pressure, have you done a 4 point test yet, if so, what are the numbers?
The reason I asked is you can have oil pressure and still have a broken outer ring on the oil pump that will make the type of noise you may be hearing.
I was wondering about that.

I will shoot BPUtah an email. I already ordered a gasket kit to fix the front cover oil leak I have (and valve cover leak). I guess I should go ahead and replace the oil pump gear just in case when the front cover is off.

Last edited by Simann; 10-02-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on the engine, if above 140,000 consider replacing the timing chain, since you are going to be in there anyway.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on the engine, if above 140,000 consider replacing the timing chain, since you are going to be in there anyway.
Rolled over 76,000 miles yesterday.